quail eggs...round 2 (THEY'RE HERE!!!!!!)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shelleyd2008, Oct 23, 2008.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I just got an e-mail from the guy I got my A&M eggs from. He is sending me some more eggs AT NO CHARGE WHATSOEVER!! [​IMG]
    Can you believe it??

Ok, so I REALLY need some advice. Most of the eggs I got before were scrambled. 12 out of 18. Only two hatched, with 1 dead in shell, 1 quitter around day 7-10, 1 blood ring, and one intact but clear. One of the two that hatched had to be helped. It had been pipped for 12 hours, and did nothing else.

So I know it was not completely my fault, but there were 3 that were at some point or another in their development.

What are the temps, humidity, turning amount that works best for these birds? I would really hate to have a miserable failure again! Especially since he was so good as to send me more for free.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I dont know but wanted to say good luck. I am on batch #2 of button quail and hope to have some babies tomorrow or the next day. If not I am giving up on quail and just going to buy button quail chicks locally.

3. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Yeah I got buttons as well, the same time I got the A&M's...1 live chick out of 20 eggs.

4. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    still better then me lol. 0 out of 26. Stupid power outage [​IMG]

5. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Mine was mostly the fault of the post office. The buttons had more peeps developing though, that's why I wonder what I did wrong. There were a total of 3 fully developed chicks out of both batches. With the buttons I had one that pipped and never hatched, and one that pipped the air cell. I think the humidity was too low. But that wouldn't explain the quitters I had, at least I don't think so.

6. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I had a few quitters. I was reading that buttons like a low stable temp 98F? and humidity of 50% or higher? I picked mine up locally (swap with BYC member). My dog hit the carton when I came in. Maybe thats why but like someone told me. There are way to many factors.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  7. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I've been trying to find some local, so they won't have to endure the post office again, but so far no luck. At least I have a second bator now, so I can hopefully do it right!

8. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    What kind of bator are you using? Also are your room temps stable? Try craigslist.org and maybe you can post a wanted ad in the farm+garden section?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  9. Bandana

Bandana Chillin' With My Peeps

So, y'all are thinking the buttons might like a lower temp than larger quail?

10. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:I have an Lg still air that I added a fan to that is mine, and an LG still air that a friend is letting me borrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by