Quail eggs to eat

Discussion in 'Quail' started by ninjapoodles, Aug 20, 2008.

1. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    When recipes call for "quail eggs," does it matter what variety/breed of quail the egg came from? Are they different sizes (I know there are sizes of quail from "jumbo" to "button")? If you had quail eggs in a restaurant, what would be the likely source of those eggs?

2. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:more than likely Coturnix:

[​IMG]

ignore the question mark, i was asking what other species of bird this egg could have came from, ended up finding otu it's jsut a dark coturnix egg [​IMG]

3. ninjapoodles

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Thanks. Would they be "jumbo" birds? I'm thinking of getting just a few, for eggs, mainly to be able to put a smaller version of a boiled egg packed in lunches or served with certain dishes.

4. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    I think they use normal sized ones but jumbo would just be extra better cuz they're well jumbo! I'd say a jumbo egg is twice the size of a normal coturnix egg. (I have both).

You can order jumbos from SamG (i forget the numbers after his sn) that's where i got mine from they're actually hatching right now [​IMG]

5. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
  6. ninjapoodles

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Oh, thanks! Yeah, the "Japanese Quail" would be exactly what I'd be looking for!

7. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:yeah they have a plethora of different names

Pharoah, Japanese, ....and that's not even getting into the colors [​IMG]

I just happily call them coturnix unless im talking about a specific color [​IMG]

They're called coturnix cuz the male makes a call that sounds like its' saying "Co-tur-nix!"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by