quail eggs too fragile...

Discussion in 'Quail' started by the Pollo Loco, Oct 21, 2011.

1. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    has anyone else experience this? and has adding oyster shell helped?

2. BigBird31

BigBird31 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2011
    actually oyster shell doesn't help try to give lots of toast and dry food and onions

3. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Are you saying they are cracking too easily? I would add oyster shells to their dustbath.

What is their diet by the way? They should have a high protein gamebird crumble diet.

4. the Pollo Loco

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    Quote:yes they are cracking to easy, they are on 24 percent gamebird crumble, (only)

5. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    Try feeding a high protein gamebird crumble. Add a little oyster shell. Also won't hurt any to give them some chicken scratch and pullet sized grit as a treat along with a few leafy greens.

If you can't find any of the gamebird crumble, try some non-medicated turkey starter. Go for at least a 22% protein level. You could even go with a layer crumble (the stuff I get is a 20% layer) but find something to supplement it with since you need to aim for 22-24% protein.

Also, if these are just starting to lay birds they are still working the kinks out and some days you will get a shell that cracks when you look at it and the next day one that is crack resistant.

6. the Pollo Loco

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    not quite wanting to do this... but would like to at least rinse them in the kitchen sink without them cracking...

7. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    Are you wanting to wash them? I never did wash them unless I was blowing them out for craft eggs. I didn't get many dirty ones and if I wanted to boil up a few for dinner or as a snack, a little running water and some light rubbing usually did the trick.

If you are washing before incubating, I definitely wouldn't do that since that erodes the protective bacterial resistant coating on them. If they have a major wad of poop on them, then maybe a little water but other than that, I wouldn't do it.

8. the Pollo Loco

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    just rinsing...

9. Chikndinner

Chikndinner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Quote:What in the world is up with this??

10. TedJan92_in_Idaho

TedJan92_in_Idaho Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    Quote:What in the world is up with this??

Do not feed them onions. They are poisonous to birds

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by