Quail eggs?(UPDATE)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shelleyd2008, Oct 20, 2008.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Ok, I know that chicken eggs can pip up to 48 hours before they hatch. Is it the same for quail eggs? I thought they pipped and zipped really fast? I have one button quail that hatched this morning, and at least 2 that have been pipped for a while now. One of my A&M cortunix has been pipped for a while as well. It has been about 5 or 6 hours since they pipped.

Do they sometimes take a while before zipping? Or will this poor baby be all alone?

<edit to add a pic>

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    ** BUMP**

Sorry I couldnt help more, wish I could..... Hope they hatch !!!!

3. Bandana

Bandana Chillin' With My Peeps

I wish I knew. Keep us posted.

4. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I decided to 'help' the ones that were pipped, after about 12 hours. The A&M baby is fine. The button baby died in the shell. It didn't have all the yolk absorbed either. I think they were a bit early, but not sure. I have heard many different things about when they're due, so it's hard to say.
    I finally got my humidity to go up, and anotherA&M baby hatched out really fast. Woke up this morning and that's still all I have. One button and 2 A&M's. Hope more buttons hatch. There were only 3 A&M's that were deffinitely developing, so I only expect 1 more. If it doesn't hatch, that is not unexpected. It seems like with my chickens, I always have one egg that doesn't hatch. Keep your [​IMG] that my little button gets a buddy!!!

5. Bandana

Bandana Chillin' With My Peeps

Does the button have a buddy yet? I sure hope so....

6. Jessika

Jessika Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Eagle Creek, OR
    Any more little ones? [​IMG]

7. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    No, it doesn't look good. I opened two of the A&M eggs yesterday. One was clear, and the other had a quitter, about 7 days I think. I haven't opened the buttons eggs, still hoping!
    The button has 2 A&M babies to snuggle with, but I'm not sure how long they can stay together. I will probably open the other eggs today. It has been 1&1/2 days since any have hatched. Then I will see exactly what the problem was. The P.O. probably scrambled the buttons as well. The A&M's were, most of them anyway.

I will let you know what I find out. Hope I find some little peepers in them!

8. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    It looks like the PO did a number on the buttons as well. Out of 20 eggs, I had 1 live chick, 2 dead pips (one pipped the shell, the other pipped air sac), 4 quitters, and 13 clear. Out of 18 A&M that I got, I had 11 that were scrambled. I was able to candle those, the buttons I was not. I really want to get some more, but I don't know what I did to have 2 dead pips and 4 quitters.

<edit> I checked the 2 A&M eggs as well. One I haven't been able to see into, it was not developing at all...probably scrambled too. The other had a fully developed chick, never pipped the air sac.

Anyone able to give me some tips? Can you tell me what I did wrong? Most of the quitters looked about halfway through? At least 7 days I would say...The pips was probably humidity. I was having trouble getting the hatcher to go up. But out of 20 buttons and 18 A&M (total) I only had 3 chicks each that were fully developed.

I would really like to get some more, and I don't want to mess them up. I think I will be able to get some A&M chicks, but I don't know anyone who has button quail in my area. Will probably have to get more eggs for those.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  9. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    What cuties !!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by