Quail eggs

Oliver88

In the Brooder
Sep 14, 2021
Hey, this is my first time on the website, so I have no idea what im doing, oh well... anyway, this is my first time incubating quail eggs (king quail), im on day 12 and I just candled them, and it doesn't look quite like all the images online, there are veins and a little lump the size of like the eraser on the end of a pencil (weird example ik)... are these not gonna work out, dead, or just behind on development?

Sounds like you still have viable eggs. King Quail take 23-24 days to hatch. A lot of the pictures online that you are looking at are probably coturnix quail which only take 17 days to incubate so that might be why they look like they are running behind. So veins and a blob sounds right on schedule as long as you aren't seeing a red blood ring keep on incubating.

Sounds like you still have viable eggs. King Quail take 23-24 days to hatch. A lot of the pictures online that you are looking at are probably coturnix quail which only take 17 days to incubate so that might be why they look like they are running behind. So veins and a blob sounds right on schedule as long as you aren't seeing a red blood ring keep on incubating.
Thanks! Big relief... what day should I put them into lockdown? Because ur right, a lot of things online are abt courtinix or Bob white quails

what day should I put them into lockdown?
I've never done King Quail (I raise coturnix) but my best guess would be 3 days before hatch date. So day 20 would be lockdown, but as early as day 19 wouldn't hurt either. If they are like coturnix you will have a few early to the party I've had one pop on the evening of day 15.

I've never done King Quail (I raise coturnix) but my best guess would be 3 days before hatch date. So day 20 would be lockdown, but as early as day 19 wouldn't hurt either. If they are like coturnix you will have a few early to the party I've had one pop on the evening of day 15.
Thanks! I'm still quite a bit confused as all the stuff online abt button quail say different things abt hiw long it takes them to hatch, and when to put them into lockdown, but I'm sure I'll figure out a way, and seeing as my eggs seem very far behind compared to all the things on the internet, ill probably go with ur advice

I thought they took short time then corturnix since they are smaller? I looked it up and everything said they take about 17 days
@Nabiki

Back
Top Bottom