Quail Emergency

Discussion in 'Quail' started by QuailRaiser, Jan 16, 2014.

1. QuailRaiser

QuailRaiser Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a golden coturnix that has regularly been pecked on; i removed her from the flock and put her in isolation four days ago and she now has most of her neck covered in pinfeathers and seems quite content. today I came out and on the top of her head, which has not been improving, had a black substance coating the top. it looks quite noist and she did not like me touching her head with a swab (normally she is quite docile) to clean the infection. she is now inside, and i treated her head with warm water cleaning and then put some polysporin on it. any help is appreciated :) thank you.

2. QuailRaiser

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. WaterfowlWierdo

WaterfowlWierdo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    Two of my roosters get that everytime I put them in my egg laying pen because of one crabby roo.....Its nest to keep them seperated permanently and if its a roo then get it a few hens and he will be happy, if a hen, give her a few other gals without a roo......I apply Rooster Booster to the injury and thats all....they heal fine with that

4. QuailRaiser

Rooster Booster? Thanks i will try to find it. And it's a hen. Thank you

5. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Any antibiotic ointment should be fine. Were it me personally the rooster who did that would be part of this evenings dinner.

6. WaterfowlWierdo

Mar 15, 2013
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    I had one of those bully roosters, he was delicious!

7. QuailRaiser

It was'nt the rooster. that's what confused me

8. WaterfowlWierdo

Mar 15, 2013
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    well every once and a while you will get a very dominant hen

9. QuailRaiser

yeah seems to be it. she's improving and ate a lot today

10. titika

titika Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2013
    I have had hens pick on other hens to the point the poor thing has no feathers. It happens, especially if you add new birds to an established pen. try moving things around and see if that helps with the aggression. It makes them have to re establish territory and usually helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by