quail eye disease

Discussion in 'Quail' started by quailmann, Dec 3, 2014.

1. quailmann

quailmann Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2014
    Hi

This is something all quail breeders have warned me about. If the males are separated from the females say at week 3 during sexing and introduced later after a few days the quail all develop a kind of eye infection

Anyone know why this happens?
    Thanks in advance

2. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Complete myth. Some environments yield more eye infections than others, but I'd say he either has dirty brooders or dirty hands causing them.

I'd carefully pick through advice from someone that said something like that.

Eye infections are easily cured with terramycin or vetracyn which can be purchased at most feed stores and many drug stores. Terramycin is the same antibiotic used for almost anything that gets eye infections. If you see a high frequency of them it's caused by some environmental factor. Period.

3. quailmann

Nov 8, 2014
    It is only local breeders who told me. They have just been hatching chicks and not breeding sadly :(
    My incubator is being made and i will be getting it soon so with BYC help lets see what I can do :)

One more thing. I have noticed this too. I know that pharoahs, goldens, fawn etc are all Japanese bred for color. But I have noticed that the goldens are more calm birds? The pharoahs jump around too much and the slightest things disturb egg laying. Any truth to this?

4. dc3085

The behavior you are describing happens when one bird in the cage is being picked on or bothered by other environmental factors. They are very easily affected by sights, sounds, and social issues.

5. Sill

Sill Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    Are you sure it is really an eye infection their birds are getting and not them just being pecked at by the other quail?

6. quailmann

Nov 8, 2014
    I haven't faced this issue myself yet. There are3 people I know who have thousands of birds each. All of them said so

7. dc3085

If you can show us a picture of an affected bird chances are we can tell you what's going on and what to do about it. Here in the US the are too many multi-thousand bird breeders to count and none of them have that sort of problem. I'd guess either eye infections or even more likely since they are separating then re introducing them it sounds, Sill probably hit the nail on the head with pecked eyes.

8. quailmann

Nov 8, 2014
    I will post a pic if it happens. I think Sill is probably right. On the subject of breeding, I have been reading MobyQuail and Tatanka threads. Is it correct to assume that after a few generations there will be problems in breeding them? What if I keep line breeding over anf over again with the same stock?

Or does it mean that every few generations I will have to get new stock (males) from a new breeder? To keep it going

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by