Quail feed

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jack & mommy's duckies, Jan 2, 2011.

1. jack & mommy's duckies

jack & mommy's duckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    I've been reading the thread on meal worms and think it would be a cool project for my son. Make him feel a little more included (he is only 4). But I've been wondering about seeds. I've read tons on google and they do say some use seeds with the feed and some don't. What are your thoughts???

And if you do use seeds can I have the exact name so I can search them out and add them if I decide I want to.

Also I hear things on cat food and others. Just looking for thoughts and opinions.

I'm gearing up for spring. This is my first year with all my birds (ducks, geese and quail..button and courtnix) and want to do it right.

Thanks

2. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Raising meal worms is a very cool project for anyone!...They are not really WORMS at all.

Good quality game bird food costs ME about 34 cents a pound. You just have to put it all in your pipe and SMOKE IT!

I'm not going to tell anyone what to do, but...just crunching the numbers....Game Bird starter is way cheaper than cat food, and the jury is still out on the meal worms.

Just my 1.78795 Cents. [​IMG] Inflation and all!

3. jack & mommy's duckies

Jan 24, 2010
    I wasn't thinking about making their diet just meal worms (and yes I know they are not worms...I've read the other thread) just thought it would be a cool way for him to feel included. He tries so hard but lets my quial out when he climbs into their raised pen with them to pet them. I thought this might be fun.

I do feed purina game bird feed. And it is great and cheap $14 for 55lbs can't go wrong there. And everyone is big and healthy and doing what quails should do.

Just wondered if a little millet would be good for them or maybe some canary seed...or even cat food when i can get a free sample or two. Just a treat. Everyone likes a treat of cake every now and again why not the quail to [​IMG]

4. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

mealworms would surely be fun for a 4 y/o...
    catfood is usually added (ground ) to raise the protein level. I have also read that it tends to be too high in salts for quail and can cause internal issues that can shorten your birds' lifespan ...
    as for seeds ... i give finch seed to my coturnix every now and again for treats and as a supplement.They also like them soaked for a couple days so that they start to sprout ,which is very healthy for them .
    They also get all kinds of vegetable & fruit scraps which makes them very happy,just be sure there's no apple seeds in there as those are toxic.

5. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    jack & mommy's duckies :

I wasn't thinking about making their diet just meal worms (and yes I know they are not worms...I've read the other thread) just thought it would be a cool way for him to feel included. He tries so hard but lets my quial out when he climbs into their raised pen with them to pet them. I thought this might be fun.

I do feed purina game bird feed. And it is great and cheap $14 for 55lbs can't go wrong there. And everyone is big and healthy and doing what quails should do.

Just wondered if a little millet would be good for them or maybe some canary seed...or even cat food when i can get a free sample or two. Just a treat. Everyone likes a treat of cake every now and again why not the quail to [​IMG]

I can't tell you how to control your child, and don't know the proper millet/canary seed, cat food mix but if you are getting 24-30% GBS, then that is optimal for most species of quail! My belt is holding up my pants, so I can't loan it to you. Maybe you could make the doors a bit smaller than the kids head, or put some sort of child proof locking device on the pen doors. I don't really have this problem...I'm just brain storming here [​IMG]

6. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

You probably don't want your quail turned loose but at least he's getting a kick out of them....[​IMG] Ya , you might want to make it hard for him to get in with the quail if you're not around to supervise( or at least catch whatever he lets out !LOL
    as i said, fruit and veggie scraps are good for them as are seed...it's their natural diet after all. I just buy the big bag from the feed store of finch seed mix

7. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

A couple of my quail live in the bottom of the finch cage...they eall the seed that the finches spill out. They also love the finch pellets (that are WAY more expensive than GBS!) Mine also like the spray millet, eggfood, mealworms and fruit and veggie treats that I give to the finches. As a matter of fact, I think I am now liking the quail MORE than the finches!!! Terri O

8. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I feed my breeders a game bird breeder mixed with soy and a 7 grain scratch with 20% protein. My chicks get the same game bird breeder that has 22% protein mixed with soy to make it around 30% proteinThe Purina and Southern States got over $17 a bag and The Purina was $20 a bag, but I bought it in 100lb. barrels that I brought back to the store to save me a dollar off of my $38 purchase. If you have a problem with outrageous prices like I do you can find a lower protein feed that meets all of the nutritional qualities exept for protein and then add soy bean meal. My feed bill avareges around $14 for the breeder mixed with soy and $14 for the starter, but it is medicated. If you want to give them seed you can give them a little bit of finch seed or millet. If you give them seed make sure to give them a little grit every now and then. I wouldn't use cat food at all, because it is way too salty and fatty for them. Hope this helps a little.

9. Rainwolf

Rainwolf De La Menagerie

Aug 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    Ok I think everyone is missing the point. The OP WANTS son to feel included in the quail activities and is trying to find ways to include him.
    The treats listed above are good.

Have you though of maybe a small "coop" or flight pen? that way he can go in and enjoy the birds with out letting them out? I'm currently working on a project using a old portable tarp garage frame and turning it into a greenhouse for spring/fall but use it as a flight pen during winter when the garden is not in use.

Since I don't have any little kids around I'll be using a single door but if you have space you could build a double door entry where you can not physically open the inner door without having the outer door closed.
    This way he can go visit them and you don't have to worry about the birdies getting out.

If space is not available for a coop/flight pen then I'd suggest clipping wings so they can not get far if they do escape. and maybe a "pen" around the cages so if they do escape they don't get "out". Some of the ideas I've seen is a covered dog run with the cages inside so that while working in the cage the person can let them run around the run. (obviously they used a hard wire of some ind around the bottom so they could not get through the chain link)

The meal worm activity is a good one. also if you like to grow plants maybe something like millets or etc to feed the birdies.
    Also a compost pile/worm bin with red worms.... have him dig out a small pile of worms to feed the birds. I don't know about your son but my experience is that boys love to dig!

If you do get a small flight pen/coop... have son go in with feed and "feed" them before refilling the feeder. I found that when it came to refill the feeder if I handed out treats and feed before hand they would climb in my lap, up my arms, into the feed pan and just about anything to get close! Now all my birds are super friendly and easy to handle since they equate my hands with treats and feed.

Hope you find a way that works for you guys! I live having kids "help" with my critters. they learn so much about responsibility and having fun!

10. jack & mommy's duckies

Jan 24, 2010
    Thank you Rainwolf for seeing my point rather than thinking my son needs discipline for going any where near the birds. Unlike others I love my son and I love my birds and it is a hobby we can share together. He is a typical boy...the more dirt the better. And kids love animals. He is very respectful of them. Doesn't squeeze them or hurt them...he just likes to be with them. And I can't blame him. So locks for my birds to keep my son out.......not a chance. Discourage my son in any way for being around the birds or trying hard to help.....no. I want my son to do what he feels he can to help. And for that matter any of his little friends that maybe over to.

Rainwolf....thanks for the thoughts on the flight pen...I think it will be a great sping project for him and I.....and who knows maybe we can build them a little garden in there also that he can tend to. Add a few bugs and some worms.....what a cool project.

And thanks again Rainwolf for being respectful of my son and his desire to do and help and not thinking he needs a beating for trying.

Edited for language, please review the rules of BYC

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by