Quail Feed

animal8

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 19, 2011
Oxford
Okay, so I was having some trouble finding suitable feed, as I couldn't easily get a hold of any game bird feed and normal poultry feed doesn't have enough protein in it, so I was asking some of you for methods of increasing protein. However, now i have found somewhere that sells quail mix and it says this would be suitable for all the quail's dietary requirements.

So my question is, would this be suitable? It looks to have a mix of different seeds in it. If I wanted to give this to cbbq would I still have to mix in finch seed? I will still provide other types of food, such as insects and legumes, but would this be okay as a staple diet?
big_smile.png

The list of ingredients included on the website said the feed consisted of: White millet, panicum millet, conditioner seeds, high protein crumbs, canaryseed.

Not sure what the protein levels are, but I could provie mealworms, soy protein, boiled egg etc to give them a protein boost. What do you think?

Hopefully someone experienced with cbbq will chime in. I only keep Coturnix and have a good source of 28% GBS available so haven't had to deal with this. If you are able to supplement the protein in the way you suggested, it sounds like a mix that might work. You may also want to consider a source of calcium. I don't supplement my coturnix with calcium because its in the GBS, but none of the ingredients you mentioned would that high in calcium so that would be a concern.

Quote:
Yeah, I'll be giving them oyster shell for the calcium and to aid digestion. Might put in some cuttle fish bone as well. Not sure if quail will take that, but I've seen it used with plenty of other birds, including chickens. I'll have to see if someone else recommends using it
big_smile.png

It's not preferred, but sometimes that's the only thing available.

Some of us use medicated out of necessity because nothing else is available.

Back
Top Bottom