quail fertility fail?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Nekhebet, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Nekhebet

Nekhebet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Erie
    So, I incubated, semi successfully one batch of eggs from my quail laid before we culled most of the males. I had at least three males (one extra, sneaky thing) in there, and at least six hens, as that's how many eggs I'd get per day, generally speaking.

Last eggs I put in candle clear. ??

I've added a few unsexed birds and am getting a couple of new layer eggs (I know because one is straight brown and another egg is sort of blue), so odds are that I have a boy or two within that...

What could have caused fertility to be off? Did the roos miss the mark before? What are the chances that the eggs I put in a few days ago candle clear? And after the addition of new blood (I know at least the two goldens are male), would it be reasonable to assume that the last few days eggs are fertile?

*sigh*

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    It is possible that the roos before culled didn't do their bit. Also you mention an all brown egg and an all blue egg? What are you feeding the birds?

3. Nekhebet

Aug 25, 2010
    Erie
    Quote:haha, well the egg isn't all blue, it's sort of blue hued and speckly. The brown egg is all dark brown, but there's some speckles in it. It's just very DIFFERENT looking.

I'm feeding them high protein chick starter.
    I think the culled roos were the ONLY ones doing their jobs...but the thing is, I see the remaining roos jump the hens all the time!

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Are They Getting At Least 14hrs Of Light Uninterrupted Each Day? If Not Then The Lads Arent In Breeding Mode
    LEMME RE-PHRASE THAT, THEY WOULDNT BE FERTILE

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  5. Nekhebet

Aug 25, 2010
    Erie
    Quote:Aw, hubby says they have "at least 12"... I'll have him go check it out and reset the timer if it's less than that. ARGH, I'm pretty sure I told him to put 14...

**ETA** every time I go down there, the boys are mounting somebody...I'm pretty sure they feel like mating.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by