Quail Fighting

Discussion in 'Quail' started by CuteQuail, Apr 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. CuteQuail

CuteQuail Chirping

Feb 4, 2019
    My quail have been fighting and some of them have gotten injured and now they are in separate areas. I let my quail outside in an aviary sort of place and let them get some fresh air. I thought it would be a good idea to keep one male and one female together but they have fought and even the other males have attacked the female and now she has a head injury. Soon, I am going to give some of my male quail away and sign myself up for a waiting list of about two months to get more females but will have to keep one male and one female together. Will they fight if I keep them together or is it just the other males causing them to attack the female?

CaramelKittey and The Phantom like this.
  2. The Phantom

The Phantom I love birds!!!

Jan 9, 2017
    SE Wisconsin
    What breed are they? Usually they should be fine kept in pairs. Are your sure they are pairs?

3. CuteQuail

CuteQuail Chirping

Feb 4, 2019
    They are Coturnix quail. I'm sure they are pairs. I separated them now but I'm still worried if they will fight.

The Phantom likes this.
  4. CindyinSD

CindyinSD Crowing

muddy75 and The Phantom like this.
  5. The Phantom

The Phantom I love birds!!!

Jan 9, 2017
    SE Wisconsin
    Ok. I have never raised those. I would try posting in the thread link that @CindyinSD posted

6. Fishkeeper

Fishkeeper Crowing

Oct 30, 2017
    Central Texas
    Coturnix quail shouldn't be kept in pairs. They need to be kept in one male to at least 4 females. Separate the female until she's healed, then try putting her with your single calmest male as a temporary measure. ABSOLUTELY remove all the extra males, and do it now- don't wait.

7. CuteQuail

CuteQuail Chirping

Feb 4, 2019
    I am planning to give the quail away during the weekend but am keeping them separate. Planning to get 3 females and 1 male. Would that work?

8. CindyinSD

CindyinSD Crowing

Are you raising quail for pets, for eggs or for meat?

The Phantom likes this.
  9. Fishkeeper

Fishkeeper Crowing

Oct 30, 2017
    Central Texas
    Do you mean you intend to have 1 male and 3 females, total?

The Phantom likes this.
  10. Tycine1

Tycine1 Songster

May 26, 2009
    David, Chiriquí, Panama
    First off, quail meat is mighty tasty and takes mere minutes to prepare for the dinner table. I learned by watching the following Youtube video on the subject, and it truly was as easy as shown.

Your quail hen was probably injured when your overabundance of males were fighting for the right to mate with her WHILE mating with her. Male quail handle their girls much like you imagine a human caveman would would treat 'his' woman... by grabbing them by the back of the head by their hair (in this case feathers on back of head). This is absolutely normal for them, and hens will lose feathers. Injuries occur to your hen when another male tries to butt in on the action and fights with the roo that's currently trying to mate her. One roo can handle up to 8 hens, 5 hens if high fertility rate is desired.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: