Quail foot issue - Bumble foot? Callus?

SassShenn

Chirping
Jun 13, 2022
I discovered these spots on most of my 9 week old hens feet today, although two have very minor spots, and the roo has none (all 7 birds are in the same pen, on the 1/2” pvc coated hardware cloth with excursions to our quail tractor). We did have them on 1/4” pvc coated hardware cloth probably a little too long until they were 6-7 weeks and changed things out due to poop not dropping through well enough.

While some of the hens foot pads are definitely enlarged, none have that red, angry infected boil/pimple look - just these scabby looking callus things on enlarged foot pads. None of my hens are limping, nor favoring a side, nor acting ill/injured in any way.

I soaked all my birds feet in warm epsom salt water, then used colloidal silver, povidone iodine, and blu kote. One hens scabby thing was able to be removed, but the skin wasn’t gross or infected looking underneath. I squeezed and prodded all of their feet, and no discharge or pus came out at all.

I don’t want to unnecessarily mess with them if it’s not bumblefoot, but I also don’t want to not intervene more if it’s needed to keep them healthy and happy.

A4EAEA82-CE2E-4232-917C-AEB23AB2B7E6.jpeg
9A5499DD-E241-4414-AA93-A13B859E3A9E.jpeg
E7DEFBDD-84F9-4D36-A906-5CE2B8EBDD6F.jpeg

Not sure if it's bumblefoot or not, but I had something similar a while back. No pus or kernal, and attempting to remove scabs seemed to hurt them more, so my treatment plan was as follows:

Soak feet until completely clean. Follow up with Epsom salt soak. Quick rinse, dip into rubbing alcohol and let air dry.

Apply non-painkiller triple antibiotic ointment, then wrapped their little feet with a bit of gauze and vetwrap. (Buy vetwrap from tractor supply, NOT a pet store. Holy crap. So overpriced. But I digress.)

Repeat every few days until scabs are gone. Should take a week or so. It cleared up just fine that way, no surgery necessary.

That looks like bumble foot to me. Keep them clean, don't waste the money on colloidal silver (all of the studies I've read have shown no effect whatsoever), and use a non pain killer antibacterial ointment.

None of them look to bad, so that should work.

Try putting box dirt into the cage so they can get off of the wire for some time each day.

Try putting box dirt into the cage so they can get off of the wire for some time each day.
They do have a covered area with pine shavings, as well as two sandboxes, but I think I may add something more to give them extra relief while they heal. Maybe the pine shavings need to go instead. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom