Quail for meals

Discussion in 'Quail' started by navasima, Nov 4, 2011.

1. navasima

navasima Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    For those of you who process and eat quail: On the average - How many Cots are needed/used to make a meal for the average adult? How many do you process at a time? I realize this varies by recipe....just trying to get an idea......

TIA

2. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    It depends on your method of processing but 1-3 bird, like you said depending on the recipe (and appitite), will feed an adult for 1 meal. Note that I'm basing this off of bobwhite that are simiar in size to cots. There are a few methods you can use to process the easiest being to pull out the boneless portion of the breast, next to a version where you also skin and save the drumsticks on top of the former, and the hardest being to skin the whole bird and leave it bone-in (there might be a couple other methods in there). How many you process (and what method you use) should take into consideraton how much work, time, and effort you want to put in, how much meat you want to get out of it (and how much your willing to waste or, on the other hand, nit pick), how many birds you have ready, and also how much you need to cut down on feed cost and open up pen space. The time and effort per bird will obviously depend on the method you use to process. If it were be I would process by the doz. and freeze them in "batches" that way using the breast and drumstick method. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  3. Mek

Mek Chillin' With My Peeps

Dont pluck... Just pull off skin.

4. TedJan92_in_Idaho

TedJan92_in_Idaho Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    2 is enough for me unless I skip a meal then 3 and I'm a big guy. I prefer to pluck if I'm roasting or barbQing them. Makes for a tastier bird

5. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    i say 2 birds with starch and veg will be PLENTY for anyone, regardless of cooking method

6. navasima

navasima Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    Thanks to all !!

7. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    my wife will eat 2 I normally eat 3 skinning I can clean a bird in about 2 minutes [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by