Quail for meat: I want to know all! :)

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Alicia G, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Alicia G

Alicia G Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Nova Scotia
    Next year I plan on getting more unusual meat animals(well at least to me) next year and quail are one of the breeds I am interested in. So being a complete noob in the subject, I have LOTS of questions [​IMG]
    So I guess here they are! [​IMG]
    -What breed is good to raise? I know some people who have Courtix (sp?). Are they good?
    -How long do they take to mature?
    -What size do they usually get?
    -What do you feed them?
    -Can you keep them around other animals?(ducks/chickens/turkeys)
    -What is your experience with them?
    -Did you like to raise them?
    -Where they a breed you would recommend?
    And most importantly (or at least to me [​IMG]) How do they taste?
    I have had lots of different meats, duck, pheasant, turkey and chicken of coarse,moose, deer, and Guinea fowl, they tasted good, well we had them mainly cause they were too loud! [​IMG]

All advice is appreciated [​IMG]

Thanks

2. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

ANSWERS:
    Coturnix- jumbo brown, a and m, and jumbo white
    you can eat one at 6-8 weeks
    jumbos and a and m get to 16-18 oz
    Game bird starter all their life [​IMG]
    NOOOOO WAY!!!!
    none but i am getting some soon [​IMG] always have to know all the info first [​IMG]
    Yes i would lol
    this question is the same as the first.
    Very Good!!!! I have 2 people who will support me on that [​IMG] JJ and Bill lol

3. Alicia G

Sep 29, 2010
    Nova Scotia
    So are courtix jumbo quail, and all the breeds you listed are just different lines of them? Or are they all completely different?

4. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Quote:Jumbo browns and the others are coturnix, many many different kinds of coturnix. Some large some not so much. Lots of colors. Pick the color and size you want and have at it!! The largest coturnix I have ever seen was 14 oz....most are 8 to 12oz... Bill

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  5. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    I have learned, for our purposes, coturnix are coturnix are coturnix. They are all one species of bird.

This is originally a small game bird with a very large distribution. the different environments in which they live, have created various color mutations- dark to light colored. e.g., pharoah, tibetan, manchurian.

1,000+ years of Domestication has created even more color variations/mutations and various strains for size. e.g., English Whites, Texas AM, Jumbo XLD1

general theory= The Jumbo Browns are larger and easier to color/feather sex.

my largest white bird is ~12 oz.

So, like Bill says, pick a color and go for it.

6. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    -What breed is good to raise? I know some people who have Courtix (sp?). Are they good?

The bread/strain of your choice is good. Coturnix are generally good, if you want to raise and eat coturnix! They are yummy to me!
    -How long do they take to mature?

You can eat them from egg to adult. Meat birds generally take between 8-10 weeks, but you can eat them sooner if you like. If you are asking about maturing to breeder quality birds, then the number is a bit different.
    -What size do they usually get?

It depends on the strain, and where you got your eggs. Somewhere between 7-12 oz. at 8-10 weeks depending on the strain. They top out around 14 OZ. You can take that to the bank and cash it like a BANK CHECK!
    -What do you feed them?

Non medicated Purina Mills Game Bird Starter, product number 5419, from hatch to dispatch...Unless the non planner bulk breeder sucks up all the GBS from my feed store and I have to wait for the truck to come in. At that point I feed PM layer product number 5438.
    -Can you keep them around other animals?(ducks/chickens/turkeys)

I don't! I keep them around humans K9's and a cat
    -What is your experience with them?

GOOD! Going on 4 years now.
    -Did you like to raise them?

Yes, and I still do!
    -Where they a breed you would recommend?

Yes.
    What ever works for you [​IMG]
    And most importantly (or at least to me tongue) How do they taste?

They taste surprisingly like.....................Coturnix! I happen to like the taste [​IMG]
    I have had lots of different meats, duck, pheasant, turkey and chicken of coarse,moose, deer, and Guinea fowl, they tasted good, well we had them mainly cause they were too loud!

Me too, but coturnix taste like coturnix....nothing more.​

7. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Quote:You learn well young patawan. [​IMG]
    It's all about getting past the size hype with coturnix. Once one gets past that, then they will get past the taste hype. They don't taste like anything other than coturnix. Which tastes nothing like CHICKEN!

Tasty birds though!

8. Alicia G

Sep 29, 2010
    Nova Scotia
    Well I think Im going for Quail next year! I know a fella who sell hatching eggs for 2$ a dozen (which seems very fair to me). How many do you think I should get? I was thinking about 5 dozen eggs, and would hope to end up with at around 2-3 dozen birds for the freezer. At being so small, I would think at least one bird per person, per meal!
    Thanks for all the advice!

9. bryleighs_gmal

bryleighs_gmal Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2010
    TN.
    expect 2 quail to fed one person or 3 depends on the person

10. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    I'm with bryleighs_gmal at least 2 per person.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by