Quail for pets/eggs/meat?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by krazycricket21, Jan 21, 2012.

1. krazycricket21

krazycricket21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    Roy
    I have had button quail as pets (and the eggs were tasty too). I am now looking for a quail flock that can supply eggs and possibly meat (but not a have to).
    I live in Washington and can't find any place to buy chicks or adults.
    Do any of you guys have any ideas?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Have you thought of buying a bunch of hatching eggs and incubating them? There are lots of folks on BYC that sell quail hatching eggs.

3. krazycricket21

Feb 6, 2010
    Roy
    I have had ZERO luck with hatching. I tried to raise the buttons and got them all the way to hatching, they were peeping and everything. I even had 3-6 hatch (it's been a while) but no one lived to adult hood. I don't trust myself to hatch anymore. I would be willing to pay anyone close to me to do that but again, i have no idea where to start.

4. gamblelover85

gamblelover85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Pahrump
    Texas A&Ms i have found are prolific layers and we butchered some about 2 months ago and the meat was excellent. And on the plus side there's no difference in taste between the roos and the hens.

5. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    All Cots are great layers .A&M are great as said above .Just a PAIN to sex(they all look alike).Jumbo Browns great Too and easier to SEX. But all Cots are great layers ,great to eat too.The main advantage is The larger kind mean more Meat per bird/and larger EGG.The regular Size lay and eat well /and eggs are smaller.All seem to lay 250+or- eggs per year.Mature ready to butcher or lay eggs or breed at 7 weeks+ or -.So its your PICK..Good Luck...cva34

6. krazycricket21

Feb 6, 2010
    Roy
    Where do i buy these? Is there a place you guys trust?

7. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    i'd check out the breeder directory in the stickies, most people ship eggs or live adults, you could probably get a pair of adults sent to you. but you'll have to incubate if you want more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by