1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quail for pets? YES YES YES!!!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Elke2009, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Elke2009

Elke2009 New Egg

Apr 10, 2017
    Hello there, thank you for accepting me!
    I'm Elke, 57 years old and am looking after our 4 quaker parrotlets, but also had to take over my hubby's 54 budgies and 7 quail as he got badly!
    Since taking over hubby's hobby i have to admit that I'm smitten with the quails, they're wonderful birds! We only got these brilliant birds to clean up after the budgies as we were advised, but they've given us, me especially so much pleasure that I bought a little incubator to have some babies?
    I really enjoy their eggs, we had 8 quail, 2 cocks and 6 hens but one cock was killed by the other, he pecked his eyes out over night, horrendous!
    So, I'm going to be a mum of a few babies, hopefully! Since having taken over these gorgeous birds i have said many times "if i knew then what i know now i would have had quails as pets rather then guinea pigs, rabbits or ferrets, they're so rewarding, pay back good food with plenty of eggs and are really beautiful birds" and that is how i feel!
    This is maybe nothing for this group but they really mean a lot to me?
    Our babies are due from the 15th of April, i read the feeding guidelines and think i will get prepared for it soon.
    Don't want to be a nuisance to this group, I'm just a housewife, caring for her poorly hubby

2. missprissychick

missprissychick Out Of The Brooder Premium Member

Mar 22, 2017
    :welcome

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us. I think its fair to say that whatever feathered creatures we have, be it ducks, chickens, quail or whatever become very important to us. We all understand where you are coming from. I guess any questions that you may have will be best answered on the quail forum - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/48/quail

Best wishes
    CT

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! That's very kind of you to take over your husbands birds whilst he is poorly. It's great to hear you are now smitten, I really enjoyed keeping quail. They were such fab little birds to keep.

Good luck for the future, I hope your husband is well again soon. Enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

5. Elke2009

Elke2009 New Egg

Apr 10, 2017
    Thank you very much for your answer! My hubby won't be getting better, among other health problems he has developed COPD which means he can't even go into our aviary! But he has pleasure by seeing me taking such interest and knowing the birds are in good hands, thankfully could be teach me his ways beforehand, as a precaution for the "just in case" situations you have to have in place with livestock

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Elke [​IMG] Welcome!

I am so very sorry to hear that your husband is unwell and has had to give up his hobby. However, I am pleased that you are enjoying your new role. Best wishes to your and your husband.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings. Elke, and :welcome! Pleased you joined our community! :)

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens Elke, I will pray for both of you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by