1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quail FOUND in Urban Philadelphia

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Gallina8, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Gallina8

Gallina8 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2012
    Philadelphia
    And I don't know how to take care of him! I think he's a Japanese Cournix, and I think he's a he. No noise made yet and very docile. May have been a pet. I do not have access to 'game feed' so what can I give him? He's not very interested in the parrotlette/parakeet food I have, and eats only a little of the greens, apple, and rice I put in his cage.

He may also be injured? I poseted video on youtube. Look up "Quail in de Hood" or click the link.

And here are some photos of the cutie pie...

Looking forwards to hearing your input!!

-Kat

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kenazzo2000

kenazzo2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    malta [europe]
    Hes a cortunix male

3. Gallina8

Dec 20, 2012
    Philadelphia
    What kind of cortunix?

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    What a cutie pie! I would make a house pet out of him. He appears to be quite human oriented and would probably warm up well as a house pet.

5. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Oh...and yes, get him some gamebird food at some point. If you have any chicken chick starter around, that would help. Being a male, he does not need as much protein as a female would. You could offer up hard boiled eggs or meal worms for now for extra protein.

Quail also love greens, quartered fruit, dried fruit as well, veggies, peas in the pod are to die for, even cabbage is a favorite. He may not be familiar with these foods, but he would eventually.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. Gallina8

Dec 20, 2012
    Philadelphia
    We are keeping him because he is very friendly and comfortable around people. What can I feed him? Haha, he's busily scratching away in his food bowl right now :)

7. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Anything you would offer up to your chickens, your quail will probably love as well. Get creative. Quail will eat many things.

8. Kylesquails

Kylesquails Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2012
    Australia
    buy a few hens for him,that would make him happy:)

9. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    ... having grown up in Chester County PA, I know that there is no possibility for you to just go to the farm supply store (or a pet store for that matter) in downtown Philadelphia and pick up a bag of wild game feed.

You will have to do a google search and look for the closest farm supply store. And yes, it appears that you will have to travel a distance, weather it is west of Philly or to NJ (and for that, I'm truly sorry). I'm just wondering if you can grind up the bird seed you have until you can venture outside of the city limits to get something more suitable?
    Also, make sure your new addition has lots of water.

10. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I would imagine a 5 pound bag of gamebird feed would last quite a while with one bird. You could order it on line here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by