Quail Free range?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by ScoutingInTheWoods, Jul 16, 2019.

1. ScoutingInTheWoods

ScoutingInTheWoods Chirping

Jul 15, 2019
    Idaho
    So chickens and other birds can free range so i wandered if quail could. So i looked it up and some peoplke say yes some say no and some just have a quail tractor? Please help.

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  2. el dorado quail

el dorado quail Songster

Mar 24, 2019
    They don't return to a coop/house so it's better to house them in an aviary or other cage. I'm going to have a planted aviary and a mobile tractor for my flock

3. ScoutingInTheWoods

Jul 15, 2019
    Idaho
    ok thanks is there a way top train them to go back

4. el dorado quail

el dorado quail Songster

Mar 24, 2019
    Uhhh I don't know of anyone having success

5. ScoutingInTheWoods

Jul 15, 2019
    Idaho
    ok thanks how would you train a chicken to come back to its coop? Because it might work with the quail maybe...Dont have much experience with chickens and non with quail.

6. el dorado quail

el dorado quail Songster

Mar 24, 2019
    Chickens have instincts to return to coops and rest I think. Quail are ground dwelling so they just sleep wherever.

7. ScoutingInTheWoods

Jul 15, 2019
    Idaho
    ok thanks

8. ScoutingInTheWoods

Jul 15, 2019
    Idaho
    if you had a chicken or something like it broody and it watched the quail righat as they were born could the hen train them to come back?

9. rlchatham

rlchatham Chirping

May 9, 2017
    SW Oklahoma
    The chicken would more likely than not kill the quail. Just not going to happen with quail. At least, I’ve never heard of it. Build a large aviary for them.

10. maadroj

maadroj Chirping

May 25, 2019
    This person says she free ranges hers.
    I would be too afraid of losing mine to try.

I raised my California quail chicks indoors and would let them out of the brooder (in the bedroom) to eat/play several times per day. They always returned to the brooder voluntarily for naps or when they were afraid (and then I'd close it back up). When we moved them to the aviary, we left the brooder there in case, like a child's security blanket. They do go back inside it sometimes to rest or when nervous, but they've also found other spots they like to use, and they roost in tree branches at night. So they wouldn't go back to it to sleep if they were free range, and I'm not sure they'd stay nearby. In nature they have large territories, I think I read one acre per bird, so I don't think they'd naturally return to a specific spot each night if they were free range.

And of course, there's also the issue of predators.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: