1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Quail got out of his cage and one of my dogs got to him

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rbell, Jan 13, 2018.

1. rbell

rbell In the Brooder

Apr 22, 2017
    I have two dogs so I have the quail cage 4.5 ft off the ground. A couple days ago the door of the cage somehow didn't close so the quail jumped out to the ground. I didn't hear any flapping so I don't think that he flew at all (he is particularly bad at flying). I turned around and I noticed that one of my dogs (15lb dog, pretty small) picked the quail up and had him in her mouth and the quail wasn't struggling at all. I immediately got her to drop the quail and when that happened tons of feathers fell off but there was no blood drawn. Since then, my quail has been acting very very sluggish. He hasn't been making nearly as many noises as he tends to and every time I come back to check on him he's half asleep. He keeps making this high pitch chirp that I call a "sneeze" although I don't actually know what it is. He's done this chirp 1-2 times a day before but not this frequently. I checked his wings and torso and externally he looks fine, just a few feathers out of place. He's eating and drinking but not moving very much.
    I don't know if he is exhausted from that day's events or traumatized by the dog picking him up and the 4.5ft drop. I never thought that 4.5ft was very high for a 2.5 year old quail to fall, but then again I don't actually know that. I'm also wondering if he could just have internal bruising or tenderness that's making him not want to move much. I could easily be over thinking the whole situation but I would just like to hear anyone else's opinion.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging 7 Years

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I'm guessing there is internal damage to organs. Can it move around on its own power?

3. rbell

rbell In the Brooder

Apr 22, 2017
    Yes he can. He doesn't seem to have trouble moving he's just sleeping a lot

4. WildCHILD400

WildCHILD400 Songster

Jul 21, 2017
    Give him some electro light water. I give this recipe to my chickens 2 cups warm water 1/8 tsp salt 1/8 tsp baking soda 2 tsp sugar mix until clear. This made my chickens perk right up!

5. dpenning

dpenning Crowing Premium Member 5 Years

Jul 20, 2013
    Blue Ridge, TX
    These birds are amazingly resilient so you could get lucky. I,vet had one survive a trip into the jaws of my French mastiff. Keep him warm and fed/watered until he seems back to normal. There could be internal injuries but you never know.

6. rbell

rbell In the Brooder

Apr 22, 2017
    I just checked in again and he won't open his eyes. He can walk around and is cleaning his feathers but he won't open his eyes... does anyone know why?

7. rbell

rbell In the Brooder

Apr 22, 2017
    I took him out of his cage and cleaned his eyes and now I can see his eyes half open again. He just had a ton of crust built up but he wasn't like that yesterday. He keeps sneezing as well. Could he just have a cold?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: