Quail Hardiness

Discussion in 'Quail' started by chickhopeful12, Nov 13, 2010.

1. chickhopeful12

chickhopeful12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2008
    CT
    I always thought coturnix had to be 4 weeks before they could be outside...am I mistaken? Not sure about this [​IMG]

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I recommend fully feathered...I doubt that 4 weeks would let them be fully feathered. Everyone has their own rules. But it is really what YOU feel is best for them.

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    It's going to depend on climate too. Last night it was 27 degrees here. My quail were fine, but they are all way older than 4 weeks.

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    It's been pretty chilly here at night lately and I have some 4-5 week olds outside with no problems. They have a box to go in to snuggle if they choose to, but usually they are sleeping on the wire.

However, if it was cold at night AND during the day I would wait until they are older, daytime temps have been in the 70's, nighttime temps in the 30's.

5. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Yup, I have 2 weekers out in an outside brooder with 100W. Tonight I upped that to 200W to keep the temperature up for them and its only supposed to be around 45. They may be outside but they still need to keep comfy warm, with just a tad lower temp each week, not a drastic drop in temperatures.

So, I am thinking this is the last hatch till the weather warms in ??? Jan - Feb.
    We'll see what the temps are then, many years we're in the 90's in Feb, lately.

Oooo. This means my girls can take a break now as opposed to later.

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    My 4-weekers are outside with no heat, just a box to snuggle in.

7. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Well I went out this morning, and got the stink eye.[​IMG] Where's our feed? Where's our water? Seems they stayed up all night partying and were running low on supplies.

This is going to cost me a fortune with them eating at least twice as much as other times of year.

Must have been the whatever that got in the yard last night. Dog tangled with something. By the time I got a flashlight and gun, it was gone and I never did see what it was and dogs aren't talking. But those babies weren't about to sleep after that rucuss. Oh, dogs fine, just limping a little.

So, ya I have noticed that very young babies outside attract predators, big time. Daytime its redtail hawks, right now. Nighttime, its cat, possum or the 2 legged kind around here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by