Quail has been scalped

kevinj

In the Brooder
Aug 3, 2021
Yesterday I found one of my quails scalped, so I moved him to another cage to recover. He has lost the skin on the top of his head, and his eyes were closed. I gave him some electrolyte solution yesterday (to deal with the shock), and after a while he seemed okay. He was eating and drinking fine yesterday, and this morning he was very active (standing up, looking around, walking around). However, now he would just stand there with his eyes closed. Is this a problem or is he just sleeping. Also, is there any ways that I can prevent infections.

Update on my quail: He is doing good, eating and drinking well. He is walking around a little bit, I will put him outside soon when it is warmer (about 80-85 deg.
Wound has some dried blood, I dont really want to wash it just yet. I think the sides and edges are scabbing up (or its dried blood lol). I apply anti biotic ointment twice a day (morning and evening), and I have a cover on top of his cage to prevent flies from getting in. Also i am giving him some electrolyte solution that I made.

With no other replies, I'll offer what I can: The bird is likely still in shock and just resting - attacks are very traumatic. Put him/her in a safe space where it won't get pecked or picked on by other birds, will stay warm, and can rest without loud noises. Protect it from houseflies too; they can lay eggs that quickly turn to maggots creating a second issue to deal with.

Make sure the wound is cleaned with saline several times per day and then an antibiotic (without pain reliever) applied shortly thereafter. You can use a Q-tip to gently remove any dirt and other contaminants, then apply an antibiotic paste that will nourish the damaged tissue and promote healing. Keep the injured area moist with the antibiotic. You'll need to address this multiple times per day, I've seen three to four times per day mentioned.

If you see the bird shaking, then it might be cold. I don't know where you're located or what the temperatures are there, but if you feel a little heat would help, go for it if it's cold. I wouldn't, however, exceed the temperature where the bird was located before it was attacked by more than a few degrees, if at all.

Yesterday I found one of my quails scalped, so I moved him to another cage to recover. He has lost the skin on the top of his head, and his eyes were closed. I gave him some electrolyte solution yesterday (to deal with the shock), and after a while he seemed okay. He was eating and drinking fine yesterday, and this morning he was very active (standing up, looking around, walking around). However, now he would just stand there with his eyes closed. Is this a problem or is he just sleeping. Also, is there any ways that I can prevent infections.

update: he is kind of lethargic right now, just standing there with his eyes closed. Is he cold?
Since he's lethargic, I would provide a warm place for him.
I don't know a lot about Quail, but my understanding is they don't deal with stress too well, so he may be in shock.
Give him some drops of warmed sugar water. If you have Poultry Nutri-Drench give him 2-3 drops twice a day as well. Work on hydration.

As for the wound, just keep it clean and apply triple antibiotic ointment. Make sure flies aren't able to get to the wound. Scalping wounds like that heal pretty well when tended to daily.

No judgment what's so ever. I know people like to help but every time I try to reply to people and only if I have experience and knowledge about a particular situation. which I am at this. As this happened a couple of times to me and now I prevent the situation from ever happening again. I know how to deal with an incident like this. First and foremost when this situation happens you want to separate him put him in a nice quiet place with water with electrolytes or sugar water.Do not whatsoever touch or clean the wound until the quail is passed the shock phase. and when you see him walking around and drinking which hopefully won't be that long. If you do touch his head and try dealing with the wound he will just get more stressed out and anxious and won't get out of the shock stage once you see him acting normal then you should start dealing with his wound. This had happened to me right away I was dealing with my quails wound as he was stressing and shocked and breathing heavily and I was cleaning he died in my hands. Now this has happened to me a couple times so I decided the last time it happened I put them in a dark room gave them water let him rest get out of shock Wait for him to walk around then dealing with the wound and it's less stress. Oh and I'm so sorry this is so long. Please keep me posted I would like to know how he's doing. :oops:

No judgment what's so ever. I know people like to help but every time I try to reply to people and only if I have experience and knowledge about a particular situation. which I am at this. As this happened a couple of times to me and now I prevent the situation from ever happening again. I know how to deal with an incident like this. First and foremost when this situation happens you want to separate him put him in a nice quiet place with water with electrolytes or sugar water.Do not whatsoever touch or clean the wound until the quail is passed the shock phase. and when you see him walking around and drinking which hopefully won't be that long. If you do touch his head and try dealing with the wound he will just get more stressed out and anxious and won't get out of the shock stage once you see him acting normal then you should start dealing with his wound. This had happened to me right away I was dealing with my quails wound as he was stressing and shocked and breathing heavily and I was cleaning he died in my hands. Now this has happened to me a couple times so I decided the last time it happened I put them in a dark room gave them water let him rest get out of shock Wait for him to walk around then dealing with the wound and it's less stress. Oh and I'm so sorry this is so long. Please keep me posted I would like to know how he's doing. :oops:
That's fine! I think he is out of shock, as he was eating and drinking yesterday evening and this morning (8 am). However, at about noon, he was just standing there with his eyes closed. did he go back into shock? He still drinks a little but doesnt eat. I cleaned the wound and added some antibacterial ointment but I dont know if he went back into shock. Hopefully not, because i think he should survive if he gets out of shock.
I'll keep yall posted

All quails are different If he's drinking and getting fluids in him that's a good sign. I would just keep checking on him and see how he's doing hopefully he'll fight through this and be okay and yes please keep me posted.

And one more thing quails can be vicious when there are too many males or if there's not enough room for them and if One is being bullied and injured the others will attack that one which causes more injury so if that happens and you see more bullying you need to separate them so it doesn't happen to another one. When they do fight which is normal cuz they're hormones are kicking in but if it gets out of control just intervene.

Photos would help. Scalping, in the literal sense of the word, means going down to the bone. Is bone exposed on the head? If so, you've got a far larger issue on your hands.

Post some PHOTOS please.
yep i will in a bit. i can tell that skin is gone, but i am not sure if its down to the skull. I'll post some pics soon

I will heal most anything in birds and have done so. I've brought birds back from this kind of scalping but I wouldn't do it again. I didn't take into acct the pain the birds must have felt while healing. I'm not wimpy when it comes to birds but there must always be a threshold of what is acceptable and what is cruel. I know we hate to loose birds but sometimes culling is kinder.

Back
Top Bottom