➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

I have had chickens for about a year now and have a strong interest in trying quail. All the nearby hatcheries no longer carry them and the farm supply stores had a lot of bad luck with them in previous years.

Any advice about how to get into quail? Are the chicks as fragile as they sound? Setting my first eggs on Wednesday and considering hatching out quail eggs as an option.

Thoughts?

I have had chickens for about a year now and have a strong interest in trying quail. All the nearby hatcheries no longer carry them and the farm supply stores had a lot of bad luck with them in previous years.

Any advice about how to get into quail? Are the chicks as fragile as they sound? Setting my first eggs on Wednesday and considering hatching out quail eggs as an option.

Thoughts?
Do it! Hatching them is better!

I can’t say I saw her eat today, but I put her beak in water, and she refused. Her weight seems okay, but her poo is saying she’s not into food and water. In two hours, she’s only done little spots of yellow, and now a few of white. She’s moving around in the box, so not dead... yet.
I think I’m more wondering if she’s edible. Let’s be honest, I want her to be okay, but if she is going to die, Maaco should get some fresh meat.

Thoughts?

Look on craigslist, or order eggs online and hatch them! I have heard people say they are harder to hatch and brood than chicks but easier than ducks. They are the only thing I have ever hatched so I can't compare them. Just pay attention to what they're telling you about their heat their heat requirements day to day, keep them out of their water bowls, give them a high quality high protein feed (24+%), and assume if there is a nook or cranny they will get stuck in it, and you will be fine.

I can’t say I saw her eat today, but I put her beak in water, and she refused. Her weight seems okay, but her poo is saying she’s not into food and water. In two hours, she’s only done little spots of yellow, and now a few of white. She’s moving around in the box, so not dead... yet.
I think I’m more wondering if she’s edible. Let’s be honest, I want her to be okay, but if she is going to die, Maaco should get some fresh meat.

Meh. Injury I say yes, illness is a tough one. I would separate her and bring her somewhere warmer away from the others, but probably wouldn't feed her to pets. Others may feel differently though! :confused:

Here are a couple things I’ve learned about quail in the last couple months:
1)Leaving overhead lights on for too long doesn’t allow them to properly rest and they become aggressive.

2)Letting them get too hot causes them to be aggressive.

3)Not one single quail that became weak during the first 7 days of life survive past 2 weeks of age.

4)Allow ample access to food and water at all times. Because they will trample each other and drown each other to get to food and water.

5) They are dumb and like killing themselves.:th

6) They drown in the shallowest of water.

7)Putting water straight from the sink into their waterers make them too cold then they pile up and smother each other.

8)Overcrowding them makes them aggressive.

9)They are jerkwads to each other.

I’m sure my issues were magnified because I had large hatches and I assumed they would be pretty similar to brooding ducks. The breed I picked (bobwhites) could also come into play with above observations.

Here are a couple things I’ve learned about quail in the last couple months:
1)Leaving overhead lights on for too long doesn’t allow them to properly rest and they become aggressive.

2)Letting them get too hot causes them to be aggressive.

3)Not one single quail that became weak during the first 7 days of life survive past 2 weeks of age.

4)Allow ample access to food and water at all times. Because they will trample each other and drown each other to get to food and water.

5) They are dumb and like killing themselves.:th

6) They drown in the shallowest of water.

7)Putting water straight from the sink into their waterers make them too cold then they pile up and smother each other.

8)Overcrowding them makes them aggressive.

9)They are jerkwads to each other.

I’m sure my issues were magnified because I had large hatches and I assumed they would be pretty similar to brooding ducks. The breed I picked (bobwhites) could also come into play with above observations.
EDB2019D-0FAD-44BF-8897-82C0657C4AB0.gif

Back
Top Bottom