quail hatching question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by NoSkiveez, Jul 5, 2010.

1. NoSkiveez

NoSkiveez NoSkiveez Poultry

Dec 27, 2009
    Casa Grande
    My Coop
    I got some eggs from a friends coop and font know when they were laid. I candeled and they appeared to be alive. There was a vascular mass a bit smaller than a dime with a pulsating center about the size of an uncooked piece of rice. They went in the Bator at this stage (june 27th). Two eggs appear to be alive. I'm just confused as to when I should expect someone to hatch. I've never had quail before, let alone hatch quail. Any advice is appreciated.

2. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    if they are coturnix 17-18 days if bobwhites 22-24 days

3. NoSkiveez

NoSkiveez NoSkiveez Poultry

Dec 27, 2009
    Casa Grande
    My Coop
    Neither. I'm not sure what breed they are. The parents were wild, attacked by cat, recovered but now live in a peacock coop by choice. The female doesn't sit on her eggs.

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Hm. To my knowledge, bobwhites are the only native quail in the U.S. but it seems more likely they were someone's escaped birds. Can you post pics?

Quail eggs are generally quite easy to hatch, but without knowing what type eggs you have, it's hard to say when they will hatch. What do the eggs look like?

If you can see clearly by candling (and I never can with my coturnix eggs), you should be able to tell when the baby is pushing on the membrane and then you could just lockdown at that point.

Good luck, anyway--

[​IMG]

5. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    wild quail could be gambles , valleys or blue scale these have almost the same incubation / lockdown as Bobs t

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by