quail hatching question

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Jessica Rabbit, Jul 31, 2010.

1. yes- wait another day

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. yes- wait at least 2 more days

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jessica Rabbit

Jessica Rabbit Mistress of Marans Manor

Apr 27, 2010
    Snohomish, WA
    I have a batch of about 50 eggs, about 15 hatched yesterday which was the 18th day, there are a lot of eggs left BUT I did have 2 explode a few days ago (BTW YUCK) I am curious if I should see if more hatch or if I should just call it good?

Accidentally hit enter, the 3rd vote was suppose to be:

no- toss the rest of the eggs

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  2. _Randall_

_Randall_ Songster

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    I've had some late-poppers (Bobwhites) on the 25th day more than once, and they turned out just as healthy as the on-timers. I wouldn't throw in the towel any sooner than 2 days beyond the expected hatch day. Ya never know.......

3. bluegoose

bluegoose Songster

Mar 25, 2010
    I Agree With Randall Wait Two More Days.

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I have had that happen, remember some people ship eggs that were not laid the same day so explosions can happen and that is a stinking mess [​IMG]

But I agree with the other poster, wait two days but if there are no more hatches by then, toss the eggs. It sucks but it does prevent any more explosions.

Also, when an egg explodes, it's already filled with bacteria so when it leaks out, it can spread to the other eggs FAST, causing the others to get infected. Good luck and let us know if you have any other chicks!

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Crowing

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Why Dont You Just Float Test Them?

6. Jessica Rabbit

Jessica Rabbit Mistress of Marans Manor

Apr 27, 2010
    Snohomish, WA
    Quote:I've never done that...... is there a thread on how to do it?

7. JJMR794

JJMR794 Crowing

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Float Test=

1 Bowl Of 100 Degree Water Of Sufficient Depth--- AlLow The Water To Settle (quit Moving)
    Slowly And Carefully Insert The Suspect Eggs And Allow It To Settle Once More And Observe The Eggs

Results As Follows:
    Sinkers= Duds--- From The Word Go It Was A Dud, No Development Whatsoever
    High Floaters, Like A Fishing Bobber With No Weights= Duds, Likely Had Rupture Of Membranes In Development And Fetal Death--- Egg Is Dehydrated
    Low Floaters, Say 10-15% Of The Egg Above The Water Line Were Viable At 1 Time And May Be Allowed Additional Time
    Low Floaters That Are Rockin And Rollin Around In The Still Water--- Viable Live Embryo Inside, Egg Movement Is From Chick Moving Inside The Egg! Carefully, Thouroughly, And Quickly Pat Dry The Egg And Replace In The Hatcher!

Welcome Back To Old School [​IMG]

For The Record.... Its Really Cool To See. And If The Chick Is Viable And Moving Within The Egg There Wont Be Any Doubts Of Possitive Or Negative Reading On The Test.... Its Very Easy To See In Still Water The Egg Will Bob Up And Down, Wiggle From Side To Side Sometimes Quite Erratically And Seem To Have A Mind Of Its Own--- Beleive Me You'll Know [​IMG]

General Warning: You Must Do Close Visual Inspection Of Each Egg Prior To Float Testing--- If There Is A Small Pip Your Chick Will Drown Once Placed In The Water.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  8. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    That's really cool! I never heard of that!!! See you learn new things every day [​IMG]

9. _Randall_

_Randall_ Songster

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Quote:Dang, Bubba...........What can I say, except: Well Put!! [​IMG]

10. jose28

jose28 Hatching

Jul 10, 2010
    mtn,grove mo
    I have had coturnix quail not hatch till the 22or23 day and they are now healthy and doing just fine

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by