Quail hatching questions. Looking for answers before my eggs get here

Discussion in 'Quail' started by bamachickens, Apr 19, 2009.

1. bamachickens

bamachickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2009
    I have GA Giant quail eggs that hopefully ship tomorrow. I have bought a LG still air incubator and added the fan kit, the egg turner, and the quail rails. I have had it maintaining temp all day, and I had a question or 2. Why I haven't already asked I don't know, just a procrastinator I guess.

1. Are these eggs too large to fit in the normal quail rails?

2. How do I add water with all this crap (the wire, and turner) in the way? I assume popping the top off is a really bad idea.

3. Do I follow normal bobwhite protocol that I find on the web with the GA jumbos?

4. Just how much bigger are the jumbos compared to normals?

5. How much hatch rate success should I expect the first time with mailed eggs (bought from cumberland valley)?

If anyone has any ideas or tips for a first timer, feel free to add them.

Thanks,

Ed

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  2. nhnanna

nhnanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    [​IMG] I don't have any of your answers but just wanted to welcome you to BYC [​IMG]

3. bamachickens

Mar 25, 2009
    No more help?

4. KyleD.

KyleD. Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    south carolina
    I know you can take a straw and put it through a vent hole or fish tank hose and usea syringe to put water in.

5. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    there are 2 large vent holes in an LG. There is one that is a little more towards the center above the yellow sticker........ This one (if you are verrrrrrrrrrrrrry careful) will allow you to pour water into the pan in the bottom.

I try not to crack my lid too much, but I figure if I do quickly, it wont be that huge of a problem as long as I make it quick... chickens and quail need to get up, eat and poop in the wild, well Im guessing 30 seconds here or there wont kill a hatch IMHO

6. bamachickens

Mar 25, 2009
    Cool, that was my biggest question. The center hole is now covered by the fan that I instaled, and the rails are still in the way, so I think I will try to rig a straw to get water into it. I didnt really realize that this incubator was so hard to manipulate when you added all the bells and whistles.

On bad note, they didnt ship today, I hope they go out tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by