1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quail Hatching!!! Update.... pics added

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by emsevers, Jan 7, 2009.

1. emsevers

emsevers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    I have Bobwhite quail in the incubator right now. It's day 22 and I have several pips!!! I'm wondering how long they normally take between pipping and hatching. Should I expect them tomorrow or sooner?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  2. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    I would probably say through the night into the morning....
    Bobwhites are usually fast.
    Here are some pics to quench your thirst until yours hatch!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Wow! Are those bobwhites? They are very pretty!!

4. SamG347

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Yep [​IMG]

5. emsevers

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    Thank You! I can hardly wait. This is my first hatch in the incubator. They are so adorable.

6. emsevers

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    Still nothing else going on. This is taking forever. Is this normal to go so long without anymore progress?

7. emsevers

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    I got my first baby!!!! [​IMG] He/she is so cute. I'm so excited. So how far behind will the rest be. I'm guessing pretty close, right?

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    [​IMG]

The others should be close behind, but they can take a few days from start to finish!! Make sure to post pics!!

9. SamG347

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Leave that chick in the bator. He/she will call to the others and soon you will have a whole mess of pips if the other eggs are still alive.
    Good Luck be patient....don't expect all the eggs to hatch on the day you set.
    [​IMG]

10. emsevers

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    So now I have 13 babies out of 20 eggs so far. There's one that is trying to come out but it seems to be having a tough time. It's zipped all the way around and how all you can see is the membrane. It looks like it tries to push out but the membrane is stopping it. I don't really know what to do. I really want to help it but I don't want to hurt any of the 6 other eggs that are in there still. So what do I do. Help the one that I know is still alive or leave it closed and see what happens. All the other chicks slid right out. This is the first that has had any problems. The humidity has been between 60 and 65. So I don't know. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by