1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

quail hatching

Discussion in 'Quail' started by skyape38, Dec 26, 2009.

1. skyape38

skyape38 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore
    Ok so after worrying about my quail hatching I had and egg hatch today came home from the store and a baby quail was in the bator was happy and did my little happy dance lol well before i left for my daughters house today i checked on the baby and the other eggs in the bator 2 were hatching i could see the eggs had little holes in them and the shell was moving very little well long story short both birds died in the eggs while hatching. the humidity was 66% it was at 70 when i left home the second time. I have 20 other eggs but can not hear any peeps out of any of them. Im hoping and praying that i have more eggs that hatch. the first egg hatch around 10:30 and it is now 6:50 and no more eggs seem to be hatching. im gonna leave the rest in there for another few days.

2. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Dont give up yet.

How do you know those two are dead?

I had a quail pip (poke a hole in the shell) and hatch 36 HOURS later!!

3. skyape38

Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore
    I decided to help them out of the shell since they have been trying to hatch since 10:30 am they were both dead and there heads were facing the pointed end of the egg and they were ice cold. since then ive had one more hatch out so im not giving up hope that more will hatch and live.
    this is the first time Ive ever tried to hatch button quail or any type of eggs for that matter.

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    A first hatch is nerve-wracking. Best of luck to you.
    (I hatched out a couple of duck eggs but just started my first batch of quail)

5. skyape38

Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore
    [​IMG]
    first one hatched 10:30 am

[​IMG]
    2nd one hatched 7:30 pm

6. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    awww I want to hatch more too! it is a hideous addiction! Hubby just laughs at me..

7. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    :heCongrats on your babies.. I still cant get any of mine to even develop.. I have tried three hatches and not one live baby and only one started... [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  8. farrier!

farrier! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Sure hop you have a fluffy incubator today! [​IMG]

9. skyape38

Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore
    Well so far i only have 2 babies, have 17 more eggs in the incubator will wait a few more days to see if they will hatch got my fingers crossed.
    kathy

10. canter6

canter6 Cooped up

Oct 12, 2009
    Dacula,GA.
    Congratulations on your hatch.
    Not sure what species we are talking about here, but some pip and take days (several) to hatch, so manually helping them can be deadly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by