Quail Hatching

Discussion in 'Quail' started by grdavis89, Dec 30, 2012.

1. grdavis89

grdavis89 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2012
    Holland, Michigan USA
    So im incubating my first ever batch of quail eggs and so far 5-6 of them have pipped around 1:00pm and i haven't seen anymore action since then. Is this normal? I know it can take 12-24 hours for them to fully hatch, I just want to make sure 5 hours without any movement is normal. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Yes, completely normal. Even 24 hours is exceptable. They will all mature at different rates and depending on how much air they have to breathe in that little air sac at the top of the egg, some will hatch quicker or later than others.

Enjoy the new babies!

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Oh...and it is best to go 48 hours after the last one hatched, before you throw in the towel on the last of the hatchers. :)

4. grdavis89

Dec 18, 2012
    Holland, Michigan USA
    Thats exactly what I needed to know, thanks a ton!! That helps to calm the nerves lol. I will keep everyone updated with info and pics :)

5. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    How's your humidity in the bator? I agree with the above posters--absolutely normal for them to pause a while, even HOURS between pipping and hatching. Never hurts to check in on humidity at this stage, though. You really want it to be up high. I generally like to see small amounts of condensation on the windows. Too low, and they'll have trouble getting out.

Good luck with the rest of the hatch, and congrats on the progress so far!

6. grdavis89

Dec 18, 2012
    Holland, Michigan USA
    Thanks foe the info! I boosted the humidity as soon as I saw the first pip. So far I have had 7 hatch! one died shortly after hatching :/ he was very weak… But I guess thats natures way. It looks like I may get 2 more today so I am very excited!

7. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    So exciting! Congrats!! WOOT!

:D

I love hatching. I'm itching to have some birds in my bator. So I'm living vicariously here. Post pics, k? :)

8. grdavis89

Dec 18, 2012
    Holland, Michigan USA
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  9. grdavis89

Dec 18, 2012
    Holland, Michigan USA
    The first baby fresh out of it's egg! I left the room for 10 minutes, while I was preparing dinner, and the egg went from a pip to being fully hatched!!

10. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    That is a super sweet picture! His little eyes and toes... omgoodness... gotta have some babies in my bator! Thanks for sharing. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by