Quail haven't begun to lay yet? Age, sex or enviroment?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by mrwoodboat, Feb 23, 2014.

1. mrwoodboat

mrwoodboat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    So I have 6 Cots in a box about 4 x 2 x 2 with a 12" x 12" "nest" box on the outside. They are on a covered, screened in porch and get diffused sunlight all day

- I was told they were about 4 weeks old when I got them last month and that there were 2 males and 4 females....so far everyone is getting along fine and they are eating like pigs (I use gamebird starter) they have ground up oyster shell and get meal worms every other day. Here are some photos- please feel free to make suggestions, or correct my mistakes..thanks[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. davedavey

davedavey Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    washington state
    They are still young yet. Also there is just starting to be sunlight enough to lay. Do you leave the porch light on them? That helps with light for laying. I got mine at 5and 6 weeks old. They were laying when I got them. But stopped for 3 weeks just from moving them to my place. But then they all stated now I have eggs filling my fridge with just 10 hens. Several of mine lay 2 eggs a day. Dave

3. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Cots will start laying sometime between 6 and 12 weeks normally if they are getting 14 hours of good light each day. Your birds are young yet as Dave pointed out, and this time of year days are too short.

4. sniper338

sniper338 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    Give them several weeks to adjust to their new living arrangements.... and wait until after 12 weeks old to start wondering about eggs... give them time still...

5. mrwoodboat

Nov 25, 2012
    Got my 1st egg yesterday!! Another one today...so far, I have not seen any mating so I imagine that may be some time away but still happy to see those nice speckled eggs...

1 person likes this.
  6. mrwoodboat

Nov 25, 2012
    So, now they are laying, and laying, and laying.....finally got to see the cockerel mate with a hen. I have been hearing him crow for a couple of weeks so I am thinking he has been mating for a bit. Going to set some eggs this week in the incubator and see how we fair!!

Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement and advise- I must say I enjoy the cots much more than I do the chickens...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by