Quail Hazing

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Anarchist.Quacker, May 16, 2010.

1. Anarchist.Quacker

Anarchist.Quacker New Egg

Apr 18, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    When I brought home by first batch of coturnix a few weeks ago, I had some juveniles in the group (~4-5 weeks old). Since then, from time to time, I've come out to find one of these hens nearly comatose and severely pecked on the head. It *seems* to be the juveniles who are getting this treatment, but I'm not 100% sure.

Is it typical for adults to harass maturing birds?

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Yes .. I wont house different aged birds together just for this reason, the large birds will always pick on the smaller ones... Also what is your male to female ratio you may have too many males and that will cause issues as well...

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Different aged birds put together is fine, but don't mix different sizes. If you have jumbos that are 8 weeks old and jumbos that are a year old, it's fine to put them together. The problem is probably that the juveniles are not ready to breed, and the others are trying. Never put a too-young-to-breed bird in with breeding-aged birds.

4. chickenwhisperer

chickenwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Chicken Country, U S A
    When I saw the thread title, I swore it said "Quail Glazing", and my stomach started growling . . .

5. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    chickenwhisperer--you are too funny .[​IMG]

Thanks for the excellent insights, guys. Anarchist.Quaker is my husband, and he is in the garage building a new quail palace, so I thought I'd step in and respond. When we bought the birds, the guy had all the quail of various ages and sizes in one big pen--probably his sales pen--and none of them were damaged, so we didn't think to separate the juveniles. Then the adult birds left the juveniles completely alone right up until they reached adult size--so it totally makes sense that the adults are trying to breed and the juveniles aren't quite ready, and thus the conflict.

Thank you. In the future, all birds will be in like-age and like-size groupings. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by