Quail head injury. Help please?!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Elexin, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Elexin

Elexin Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2014
    My quail was sitting in the box and i thought it was laying an egg so i left it. I came back an hour later and discoverd a head injury due to a cuttle fish falling on it. (In cage with budgies) i took it out of the cage and gave it warmth and water inside. There are 2 wounds about half the size of the nail on ny small finger. It was not moving and looked like it was nodding of. Its about 5 weeks and not sure of breed. Will it survive? Any way i can help it?

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Just provide it comfort . It may recover from small injury. I once got a serama chicken that came with a gash on her head. I name her GORBIE. PM me if you need explanation . After a short time wound healed. No trace. Name stayed.

3. Elexin

Jul 25, 2014
    just cheacked on it. It was drinking water that had antibodics in it. But i noticed it has a tilt in its head but it was cherping and looking around. Do you think it will survive?

4. cavemanrich

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    All pointing to recovery. You are doing your BEST.. WISHING YOU WELL. You are a compassionate person. [​IMG]

5. Elexin

Jul 25, 2014
    he survived the night and hes looking good. I do care alot about all my animals. I have 4 chickens use to have 5 but lost one to heatstroke and my quail were rescued from being snake feed.

6. Elexin

Jul 25, 2014
    one is healing a bit but the other one opened up again. Its got a bit of blood but its still responsive and it happend about 3 days ago now. Do you think the reopening of it will make it worse or will it just heal over?

7. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Knowing button quail,I'm sure they are jumping up and hitting their heads.If you put them in a taller pen or put a piece of Styrofoam tied to the inside top so they have a cushion.This will stop most head injuries.These guys are just like pop corn when startled.You could try to put some blu coat(available at feed stores)on the wound,but they are so small I don't know if you could get some on them.Do not get red coat,this will make other birds attack the red color.
    In N.H.,Tony.

8. Invision

Invision Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    Washington, Kitsap County
    Just leave him be, I have one coturnix that always hit's her head... she has recovered from the entire scalp peeled back... (Had to wash it out and flap it back over) Healed in a week, she's just now getting feathers and it's been this way for a month... The bird should heal fairly quickly.

9. Elexin

Jul 25, 2014
    It died a few weeks ago thanks for all you help but it was not enough.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  10. cavemanrich

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    You did your best.......... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by