Quail Help.. just getting started.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Gumbie1, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Gumbie1

Gumbie1 New Egg

Jan 26, 2012
    Glendale Arizona
    Hello All,

We live in Surprise AZ. Anyone raising Quail in an area with a HOA? We can find nothing about the restrictions of raising Quail. Also there is very little information on the AZ heat and it's effect on them.

Any information will help!

Thank you.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I'm sure it will all depend on your particular HOA and how much it prys into personal lives.

I live in a condo with a strict HOA. But, if nobody knows or hears...

3. CHEIF91

CHEIF91 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2012
    loganville,georgia
    im just starting to. keep me posted of u get any interesting info. thanks.

4. Gumbie1

Gumbie1 New Egg

Jan 26, 2012
    Glendale Arizona
    It's good to know I'm not the only one.

Are either of you in AZ. How do the Quail deal with the heat?

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

In your profile you can put in your user location. You can see the locations of other users by looking under their avatars.

I'm in WA/OR. No idea what real heat is. Hahaha. Hot is when it's 75F outside and the AC is set to 68. LOL

That said, at least so far, they do not sound like chickens and so with just a few, they can pass off as caged pets. If your scale is large, well... that might be harder to justify.

6. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    We were out in Surprise AZ For Xmas .Whatever breed of Quail that are there are all over the place .Its obvious heat doesn't bother them....cva34

7. I've raised coturnix in Buckeye AZ, which is in the valley. HOA is strict on everything but quail has been no problem. If you keep mostly females with the proportionate # of males ( I use 4 to1 ) you should be ok. If you keep a males only pen then look out for some noise.

Heat is severe here but simple adjustments makes everything ok. I brood outdoors in Buckeye. I do spray water on them from time to time when it gets really hot. I have yet to loose a quail to the heat. I strongly suggest SHADE as much as possible.

Feel free to look at my page to see some of my quail set ups.

8. Gumbie1

Gumbie1 New Egg

Jan 26, 2012
    Glendale Arizona
    Thank you all for the information you've provided both here and to my inbox.

We are ready to begin. I'm very excited for my 14 year old to experience the whole process. Our incubator will be here in a few days.

Does anyone have Texas A&M (Jumbo white) or Jumbo Brown fertilized eggs to give away or for sale?

We can order them fairly cheap but are interested in getting some of our eggs locally.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by