Quail housing. Am I missing somthing?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Silkie-Feet, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Silkie-Feet

Silkie-Feet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Ky, Kentucky
    Everytime I see button quail, they are in a little hardware cloth cage. I'm new to this, but I bought five quail yesterday. I put them in a giant coop with a large run. will this work? will they be smat enough to return to the coop to sleep at night, and during rain? Here is the run, the coop is exactly half the size of the run. I took the pond (kiddy pool) out.
    [​IMG]

2. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    Button Quail can't live outside in your area, they should be kept in an indoor aviary or small cage with a mate. They do best in pairs, I have a pair in a big fish tank in my bedroom.

3. Silkie-Feet

Jul 16, 2010
    Ky, Kentucky
    won't they be fine with acess to the coop?

4. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

button quail are tropical ground birds. temps under 60 and they are likely to get sick. [​IMG]

5. Silkie-Feet

Jul 16, 2010
    Ky, Kentucky
    what if i was to put a heat lamp in there?

6. Silkie-Feet

Jul 16, 2010
    Ky, Kentucky
    i had no idea they were tropical.

7. Silkie-Feet

Jul 16, 2010
    Ky, Kentucky
    I'm trying, but you gotta start some where [​IMG] can they live in there with a heat lamp?

8. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    I was wondering the same. I am NOT going to keep mine going into fall unless I can figure out an outdoor method where they can have heat. Did NOT really like having them in the house, too noisy and hard to deal with in my small house. I might keep just one or two pairs in separate cages in the room with my doves. Otherwise, I'll give them away.

9. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Gulf coast states are about the only states where buttons could possibly be kept outside. Buttons are not an outdoor animal - think of how you'd keep canaries, cockatiels, or any parrot. - under 60 degrees is too cold. - they need ground space not up space - they don't perch, they prefer to have things to hide under .... Alot of people keep them in shallow containers such as aquariums or clear plastic storage bins with a fake plants/flowers for cover and a little box for a nest. Or in wire quail cages....

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  10. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    Quote:No, they will get too cold. I doubt a heat lamp will keep it that warm in there all winter long. What are you feeding them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by