1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Quail housing plans

Discussion in 'Quail' started by hannahmcbain12, Aug 20, 2014.

1. hannahmcbain12

hannahmcbain12 In the Brooder

May 18, 2013
    Rhode Island
    Hi everybody!
    I have a few quail (60 or more)... And now I need to make a new pen or house or something for them. I have them in hutches that don't have a drop down bottom to let the poop out, so now that's no longer a great idea since they are laying eggs. What do you guys use for quail housing or pens? Pictures would be much appreciated!

2. cruisermedic

cruisermedic In the Brooder

Aug 11, 2014
    You can still use your hutch design. Just put a wire bottom on it that slopes to the front. It doesn't need to be a big slope. Maybe a inch over several feet. Poop falls through...eggs won't. Mine use 1"x1/2" wire. But you have to be mindful of how you lay the wire. One way the egg rolls. One way it doesn't. Think of the wire one way making a valley or trough. The other way makes it like a washboard(they won't roll).

1 person likes this.
  3. cruisermedic

cruisermedic In the Brooder

Aug 11, 2014
    The problem I have when I have a lot of quail in one cage and the eggs don't get out of the way is broken eggs. They hop around and step on them when breeding. I'll get one or two cracked eggs out of each breeder section (7 birds)

4. dc3085

dc3085 Crowing

The forum has a whole section called coops/runs/cages that has many thousands of pictures to browse through. I've seen this same type of thread dozens of times and they don't usually get much traffic, so if you really want to see whats available use advanced search. Not trying to be rude but you'll only get a few posting here whereas if you search you'll get to see hundreds if not thousands of coop ideas.

5. funsized72

funsized72 Chirping

Jul 19, 2014
    SF bay area CA
    You can try the quail coop sticky page.

6. hannahmcbain12

hannahmcbain12 In the Brooder

May 18, 2013
    Rhode Island
    Thank you, I'll try that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: