quail housing question

Discussion in 'Quail' started by LindsayB, Nov 21, 2011.

1. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    It looks like DH and I are going to be trying out some quail. We plan on raising coturnix for meat and eggs. We have a rabbit hutch that is 48 in long and 24 in wide, 3 sides are wood and the front is wire with a wire door. The flooring is wire but it also has a plastic bottom you could use instead. Would this work for quail? If so, how many could live in the hutch?

2. quailmale

quailmale Chillin' With My Peeps

Well if you go by the rules 1 bird per foot, so 8 birds but Cots are laid back compared to Bobs, so you could go 10-12, [​IMG]

3. LindsayB

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    Thank you! [​IMG] I have another question.... sorry. I was going to order 25 eggs. What percent hatch out after being shipped and everything?

4. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Shipped eggs usually result in a low hatch rate
    Distance traveled and being shook up are a little hard on the eggs.
    I would say 30% hatch would be a good hatch.

5. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    Using comercial stocking rates you could fit almost 50 birds. But that really isn't ideal or I would even go so far as to say it''s inhumane. Although only 10 or 12 birds in there would be really generous with space. With only 25 eggs any percentage of them thet hatch could be put in there.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  6. LindsayB

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    Thank ya'll. I'll probably start off with a few adults then start hatching their eggs. Does anyone know where I could find adult coturnix for sale? Even if they were shipped

7. fowlsessed

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    Check on craigslist.org it's a really good website. I've found several birds I wanted on there. Just be sure to select your state.

8. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
  9. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:seriously? FIFTY birds in a 4X2 ft space? Are they NUTS? You're right THAT would be EXTREMELY INHUMANE!
    To have HAPPY,HEALTHY Coturnix. 1 sq.ft. / ADULT bird is REQUIRED .Even then you could get some quarreling and have some injuries now and again if everyone doesn't get along. MAXIMUM # in 8 sq.ft. for adults would be 10-12 as long as they are all compatible personalities.

As for hatch rate in shipped eggs ,it can depend on alot of different issues ...were they handled gently? what was the weather temps while shipping? How far were they shipped?
    i have had anywhere from 1-2% hatch to 90% hatch with shipped eggs.

10. fowlsessed

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    I have nine pharoah quail in a 2' by 3' enclosure and they do fine, no problems. I have only males.(i think)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by