1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quail housing

Discussion in 'Quail' started by havensteinjohn, Sep 4, 2013.

1. havensteinjohn

havensteinjohn Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2013
    Kansas
    I am building a quail pen. Do I need to make an area inside the pin where the quail can go into to get out of the weather/wind????
    It is already covered and rain proof. Just curious if they need some kind of box to get inside at night or during nasty weather. I live in Kansas.

2. havensteinjohn

Sep 4, 2013
    Kansas
    Going to be raising Japanese Quail. I guess I am asking if they will require a coop inside of their pen.

3. Sethc

Sethc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2013
    Hi Havensteinjohn,
    It isn't completely necessary to have that extra protection since you already have it rain proofed but it would be a good idea to have that extra protection so long as you can easily access it and clean it. Even if its not heavy duty it's best to have some type of protection. Hopefully I helped and have fun raising those quail.

4. havensteinjohn

Sep 4, 2013
    Kansas
    Thanks for the response.

I think I am going to try using a Rubbermaid tub with a hole cut in it. That way I can open it and clean it real easy. If it looks like it serves a purpose and they use it alot, I may build something more permanent later on.

Hoping to get quail bought this weekend, got to get my pen finished first.

5. havensteinjohn

Sep 4, 2013
    Kansas
    I am building a pen inside my existing covered chicken pen.
    [​IMG]
    I need to build the front yet, and some access doors. Going to be 15ft long, 3ft wide and 3 ft tall.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by