quail hutch and run ?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by urban hillbilly, Nov 12, 2013.

1. urban hillbilly

urban hillbilly New Egg

Nov 1, 2013
    I'm trying to plan out my yard and i would like to know how high i should make the run on my quail hutch. I'm planing to make a 6x6x6 with a run about the same size, the run will be sitting on the ground. I was thinking about putting by a pen that i might have a goat in the future is this a good idea go a bad one plz lets me know what u think thanks so much i appreciate all the help

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Is this 6x6x6 in feet? If so, go as high as you can for the ceiling. If they should get frightened for some reason, quail have the tendency to flush up. So you want a ceiling of preferable 7 feet or more. 6 feet minimum. My aviaries have 6 foot ceilings and only once in a decade did I have a quail hit the ceiling and break her neck. However I have seen them fly up to the ceiling thousands of times, fortunately with not enough force to kill themselves. So go as high as you can. You can always use a false ceiling with a net to stop them from injuring themselves.

Goats will be no problem as along as they are not in the same space as the quail. They can be along side each other with no issues. :)

3. urban hillbilly

urban hillbilly New Egg

Nov 1, 2013
    Yes that is in feet Thank you. That will help me a lot I just don't want to build something and find out its wrong thanks so much

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by