quail hutch idea

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Roosu, Dec 25, 2014.

1. Roosu

Roosu Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2014
    i really want some coturnix quails so i have two rabbit hutches and i want to put hem on top of each other and make a hole at the top hutch with a ramp so they have more space but i am not sure if they would understand it i can put the feeder in the top hutch and the waterer/sandbox in the lower hutch would this work or will they forget where there feeder or water is?

this is my button quail set up it also has a little ramp to the waterer and they are doing just fine sometimes they just hop on the little house it really looks funny!
    [​IMG]

2. Roosu

Roosu Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2014
    anyone?

3. hardscaper87

hardscaper87 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2014
    I do believe that would most likely work if the ramp is not too steep. When i set up a new pen I figure out the square feet of the floor and try to give them atleast 2 sq ft per bird while breeding or grow out. Can have 1sq ft per bird no problem but I prefer more.

4. stephstuckman

stephstuckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2014
    I use a rabbit hutch like the one pictured in the summer for my coturnix quail. I put 5 or so in there during the daytime only so they can peck at the grass a bit. I have also used it this winter as a quail jail or a recovery pen. I put the food and water at the top. They seem to find it fine. When I put them in I locked them on the upper part for a couple hours so they ate and drank up there. Then sprinkled food down the ramp. The ramp seems a little steep, they don't walk down very gracefully but they seem to make it back up fine.

5. stephstuckman

stephstuckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2014
    [​IMG]

6. Roosu

Roosu Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2014
    hey thanks this really helps i geuss i am just gonna give it a try
    one hutch is 3 feet by 2 feet so with 2 hutches that would be 6 feet for 4 quails

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by