Quail Ideas for Ag Fair?

MobyQuail

c. giganticus
9 Years
Sep 10, 2010
Quailtropolis
ok, I need to run some ideas by ya'll Quail people, I trust you as the smartest of the birdbrains.

My Grandfather started an FFA Fair in my hometown in Upstate NY, a town called Pine Plains.
The Fair is held every Columbus Day weekend for the past 35+ years. There is a parade
"Duppy" as we called him, was a "Holstein" guy. He had a 300+ head dairy farm and taught FFA at school.

Well, sadly, Duppy passed a few years ago. We miss him, we remember him by the Ag Fair every year.

We all know the economy is not so hot, my little dairy farm town in Upsate is not fairing well.

The Ag Fair is a shadow of its former self. There used to be livestock judging over a 2 day period, now its just exhibition cages and pens.

I want to do something about it, even though I live in Florida- 1200 miles away.

My sister, who is smarter than I, is co-championing the event with her friend, Tammy, and the current Ag teacher.

humbly, Quail people I ask for ideas for the "C-word",

I need QUAIL ideas before I post a thread in Chickenstocks, etc...

I need limited scope for a 9-5 schedule. How would you like to see it run?

first, we need people traffic, a chicken swap?, a chicken race- I got some ideas? a chicken auction? chicken cook-off?

anything to bring in the local chicken folk and then I want to introduce my hometown to Quail the BYC Quail forum way.

holler, model_A

Last edited:
I support this idea Model A.

Have a section separate from the chickens where the quail in various color trios or quatros can be shown. I had intended to do so at our fair. I am raising a few color pens to take....and bring back quarantining them for 21 days (just in case they were in sneezing range of the chickens).

Some supportive members had given me a must have list:

Your own feed cups
Your own cages
Your own feed
Hand sanitizers or wipes if you are having people allowed to touch (highly unlkely but a good educational "prop" as to the need for cleaning hands and cross contamination with species). We are the educators you know.

Quarantine all that come home from show for 21 or more days.

You can put some electrolytes or other preventative in their water while they are there. Have some plastic tarp (perhaps clear) to cut to size to line the wall between cages of another set of birds (spray guard).

We can work on a bifold info brochure from the Quail board of BYC to have at expos, fairs. I would volunteer to put it together with some trusted sources checking my facts, using an oldfashioned pen and ink and pretty pics to accompany info.

We can begin to educate the public on the benifits of such small but fruitful livestock that the Europeans, Asians and South Americans have LONG realized and utilized.

So here we go. Another project. An info bi fold with the nutritional facts of Quail vs Chicken egg and how you can combine the two for breakfast to boost your vitamin intake in your omlet....I could go on.

So who will be my fact checker...? I can PM rough drafts, donate my pics of my birds. I have a nice publishing program to use just for this type of thing.
I did it for Border Collie Sheep Dog trialing events. The crowd and passers by enjoyed seeing the dogs with the pamphlet explaining the reasoning of the natural form of handling the animals...

Oy, here I go assigning myself more work...but it is good. More eggs sold in the long run. An educated public is an educated consumer and client base, when it comes to the worlds biggest and well kept secret....Quail.

Tonya

thanks!

we have time, I wanted to get it out there ASAP!

my sister has designated me incharge of "poultry", but I am going to delegate alot to someone local. I can rustle up the website, project teams, etc.

I do plan on making it up there for the whole week of the fair to check on things

I would like to have the AG class hatch some chicks for that weekend for a Quail exhibit?,
maybe we can donate all chicks to one farm after the fair, I will be traveling from Florida, so no birds for me.

and there are 2 barns, we can do chickens in one and quail in the nicer one
smile.png

my overall plan is to KISS, Keep It Simple Stupid. Don't burnout, I am a project manager for IT at work, so lets keep this light and fun!

we really need people and vendors to start coming back to the Ag Fair in general.

maybe a chicken eating wing contest?...who knows. I want to pick a few key things out and hone in on them over the next 3 months...

Tonya, I really appreciate your help with the Quail, and any other poultry/livestock and people entertainer ideas you have!

we do have a fairly coordinated tractor pull, and a horse pull exhibit.

good stuff, "Duppy" would be smilin'

thanks, TD

GOT A NEAT LIL GAME FOR YA....

THIS IS GAMBLING BROOKSVILLE REDNECK STYLE RIGHT HERE I TELL YA...
tongue.png

IN THIS CASE IT WAS DONE AT THE LOCAL FFA FUND RAISER BUT COULD BE DONE ANYWHERE FOR ANY REASON OR PRIZE. IN OUR CASE IT WAS A LOVELY AK47 IN A HAND CRAFTED GLASS FRONTED PRESENTATION CASE IMPRINTED TO READ " IN CASE OF EMERGENCY BREAK GLASS"
smile.png

NOW LOOK CLOSELY AT THE PIC...

Mar05_0001.jpg

YOU'LL NOTICE PAINTED NUMBERED SQUARES ON THE CAGE FLOOR... I THINK THERE WAS SOMETHING LIKE 1-72???

ANYWAYS YOU BUY YOUR CHOICE OF NUMBERED SQUARES... ONCE ALL SQUARES ARE SOLD YOU RELEASE THE CHICKENS! 1ST NUMBER THAT GETS POOPED ON WINS
gig.gif

MAKE YA A NUMBERED CAGE AND GET READY TO STIR UP SOME ACTION AT THAT AG FAIR!

Cool idea with chickens, we did it with bulls in a field, would you believe it took 9 hours before anyone of the 6 bulls did his thing, must have been the move plugged them up. Chickens in a cage is easier to lay out and move than a 1 acre field and 6 bulls.
Cool idea.

Back
Top Bottom