Quail illness

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Mary Of Exeter, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    So I have a young female who just started laying. Only got 5 eggs out of her. Yesterday she was zipping around as normal, but today when I come home, she is laying on the ground, fluffed, having difficulty breathing, and is on the brink of death. The poor thing's vent was blocked, so I fixed that, and all she expelled was clear liquid. Also when I picked her up, she 'gushed' water into her mouth. Of course aspirating didn't help the situation [​IMG] She will be gone in a couple hours or less [​IMG]

I would just like to know if anyone has ideas on what caused this, so I can prevent it in the future. I figured perhaps respiratory infection, but in most birds I've had like that (not quail, this is my first sick one), usually had it for a few days before it got this serious. Are quail just good at hiding their sickness until it's too late? I know all birds are masters of disquise, but this seemed very sudden and rapid. Perhaps she got a hold of something that blocked her crop (or if quail can get canker)...crop stasis would cause her to 'gush'. Maybe there's a mouse getting in that I'm not aware of, and she ate droppings or contaminated food. Orrrr maybe she was carrying something when I got her.

I don't know, just thinking out loud. Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

2. smallbluejellybean

smallbluejellybean Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    Kings Park NSW Australia
    Ok, never had this problem with quail, but I have with Canaries. Do you think that there could be broken shell inside her. You might have got the inside of the egg out bit not the shell. From experience you need to be taught the way to expell eggs from birds otherwise you can make things worse. Huffing and puffing in most counts means there is egg bound there, but if you only get fluid you might have left the shell and now you crushed it - it will take more to expell (if possible). Sorry you might loose her. A good idea is to lubricate her vent with ky jelly. If blood appears it might be too late, but try anyways or take it to a vet.

3. smallbluejellybean

smallbluejellybean Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    Kings Park NSW Australia
    My birds have never had any problems. I had 4 egg binds with my canaries - that is over 7 years. Is there enough calcium in their diet - are you over breeding?

4. Mary Of Exeter

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    No overbreeding, as she just (literally, as of last week) got old enough to start laying. Plenty of calcium, and no indication of any egg binding or egg fixing to be laid.

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Becky Did She Have Any Other Signs Of Illness What So Ever? Any Nasal Swelling Or Discharge? Watery Eyes? Anything???

6. Mary Of Exeter

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Nope. Of course when she was going downhill, her eyes did look glassy and she appeared to be sleeping. She obviously had some diarrhea for the droppings had blocked her vent. The little mass was a pastey white color, if that helps any.

7. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Wasnt Pasty Butt Was It? That Will Kill Gamebirds If Not Corrected...

8. Mary Of Exeter

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    What causes that?

9. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:DIARRHEA--- USUALLY FROM EATING CHICKEN FEED INSTEAD OF GAMEBIRD.... SOME SPECES IT MAY CONSTIPATE WHICH WILL ALSO LEAD TO DEATH... MANY NEVER HAVE PROBLEMS WITH IT... BUT MANY DO AS WELL.

10. jolleyfarm

jolleyfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2013
    Tupelo MS
    This just happened to one of my quail. She was fine yesterday. Fed them this morning and she was puffed up, I thought she was just sleepy. It was early. So tonight I went to check on them, and she was the same, I picked her up, which she would never let me do if she was healthy, and I went to check her vent, it wasn't blocked, but she threw up.. we got through that... Then about 5 minutes later she had a seizure and passed away. I opened her up to see if there was anything abnormal, and there wasn't from what I could tell. Anybody know what happened to her? Should I be worried about my others that were in a pen with her?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by