Quail in aquarium? I GOT THEM!

taraann81

Songster
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Ontario
As I was looking through the threads on this forum I came across a picture of some one who had button quail in an aquarium. It looked very attractive. I was wondering what they used as bedding and also wondered how one cleaned it? As a large size aquarium is quite awkward and I wouldn't want to be moving it around to often every few days.

The pic I was referring to had plants(fake or not I'm not sure) and it just looked great.

I will be getting buttons soon and would like to set up something similar. Thanks

Last edited:
No idea. I imagine it would be fairly easy. I would put it lower though so you can easily bend over to clean it. At petco they sell screens that fit over the cover of the tank thats attractive and efficiant.

good luck i hope someone with buttons can help
Mark

You can use a shelf liner on the bottom with pine shavings on top. To clean it out you can take the birds out and the shelf liner would carry out all the dirty shavings on it if you roll it up. Fake plants just wash in the sink and the shelf liner can be washed too. You can vaccum or sweep out whatever is left if the aquarium is a really big one.

this guy has some in an aquarium...
http://www.cyberquail.com/homepage.html

If it was me, I would use sand and then scoop it like cat liter. I can't imagine using bedding. It would have to be changed every day
sickbyc.gif

I checked out the pic on that website. I need to find the pic I saw in that thread(can't remember where it is). The way the person had it set up it looked very naturel, it didn't appear to have shavings as bedding. It looked more like a habitat than a cage, which the ones on that website looked like a hampster cage. But yes wifezilla, I think sand would be my best bet, but I wonder if it would get stinky fast. I'd only be sifting out poo. The pee would soak in the sand. I don't know. I'll try to find the pic.

I think I know which one you are talking about. Maybe it was a video. They had bamboo ladders and stuff and the little quail were running up it...plants on the sides??

Many Pet Supermarket Type Stores Sell Colored "clumping" Sand--- Its Used As A Flooring Substrate For Many Reptiles And Other Aquarium Dwellers And Clumps Like Kitty Litter So The Mess Can Easily Be Scooped Up Daily. I Have Seen Buttons Kept In Aquariums In This Manner If That Helps?

Yeah I remember the video too...gahhhh can't find it though...the quail were running everywhere and there were green plants...

thats more like a pen then a Aquarium.
but nice none the less. seem like a lot of effort , and a very wide space for quails to dwell in
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom