Quail in the Brooder.....GROSS, What should I do ! !

Discussion in 'Quail' started by momw2cutekids, Sep 26, 2011.

1. momw2cutekids

momw2cutekids Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    So, I just hatched out about 20 quail and just few more are left in my hatcher.......As a brooder I have 2 rubbermaid storage containers that I converted as brooders. I use old dishtowels as my bedding since I am worried that their feet will spread, I just tried bath mats and also I tried non skid lining [​IMG] I change their liners about 2 to 3 times a day BUT>>>>>>>>[​IMG] last night when I got home I noticed poop is sticky to their little toes I pulled some off but, [​IMG] It's such a mess - WHAT SHOULD I DO ?????? Any ideas for brooder liners ? And how am I gonna remove all this poop off their toes with out them bleeding ??????? [​IMG]

2. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

I use paper towels - like Viva or really cheap ones. Some are too slippery.

3. chrishel

chrishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    The Windy City
    They aren't going to like it, but I hold them and run their feet under warm water and then gently pull off the gunk.

I try not to get them too wet and they go back into the brooder as quickly as possible.

4. 4mychicks

4mychicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2007
    western,Ky
    I've been thinking of cutting hardware clothe (wire) maybe an inch larger than the bottom of my brooding container ,fold under 1\\2 inch all around to elevate it, so droppings go through and hopefully everyone is clean and dry. like a shoe box lid sorta [​IMG]

5. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Quote:I use the kitchen shelf liner, I don't have that many babies, but honestly, I don't see any poo sticking to their feet, and yes, I have to change more often now because they are getting bigger. Here's a picture of the stuff I use..get it at the dollar store. [​IMG]

6. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    I start them on paper towel then switch to shavings, then onto wire.

7. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Quote:What do you think Hot2...mine should be ready for some shavings now shouldn't they?

I am one with a lot of questions..sorry, but I am glad there are folks on here that are ready with good answers.. I am learning more and more as I come on. Can't learn if you don't ask. [​IMG]

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    How old did you say they were? I keep mine on cloth (towel or scrap material from old blankets) for at least the first week. My button babies are over 2 weeks old and still on cloth. I've tried paper towels and shelf liner and it just doesn't work as good as a regular cloth towel.

9. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    You can use pelleted pine for cbbq as well. I use it for all babies actually. Haven't had issues as of yet. But towels work as well.

10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:I wouldn't use it on very young babies as it does roll around a lot. You'd have to break it down (wet it) for the pellets to not stick out so bad and for little babies you'd have to wait for that to dry or it would get cold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by