Quail in the pigeon loft

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by farmmom2u, Sep 22, 2011.

1. farmmom2u

farmmom2u New Egg

Sep 21, 2011
    My daughters were told that quail make a great clean up crew in the bottom of a pigeon loft.

We have just built a nice sized loft and have an upper and lower opening to a large fly pen so I think it would be great to put our handful of quail (we only have 5) with the pigeon flock.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Do we need to put game bird crumble in for the quail? If so, is that okay for the pigeons or does it need to be where the quail can get it and the pigeons can not?

I posted this on the quail forum, but wanted to try here as well seeing the quail fans had not heard of using quail as cleaners in aviaries and pigeon lofts.

Thank you in advance. I want this to be a great experience for my girls. They love everything to do with birds.

2. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    they'll do fine, pigeons can eat game bird crumbles with no problems, my cortunix aren't in with my pigeons yet but that is the plan when i get my new loft built, hope this helps [​IMG]

3. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    I have a pair in one of my lofts at the moment [​IMG] They'll eat the same things the pigeons do. But you can put crumbles in there. The pigeons prefer seeds/grain but even if they do eat it, it won't hurt them at all.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quail need higher protein than they would get from just eating seeds and grains. You'd have to have some type of crumble feed in there for the coturnix. But they would get along fine.

5. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:X2!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by