1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quail in winter

Discussion in 'Quail' started by xke4, May 20, 2007.

1. xke4

xke4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2007
    It looks as though someone has released some Cortunix quail (2) that have ended up at my daughter's workplace (wildlife rehab). They will be unable to release these birds as they are not native to this area. So of course she wants to bring them home. What would they require to survive a SW Ontario winter (the same temps and weather as Detroit)? I would not put them in with my ducks or my chickens so would be starting from scratch to build them some sort of habitat. Thanks C

2. Marty1876

Marty1876 Hi Everyone!

They are happy caged, otherwise they need a sheltor out of the wind, mostly. If its below freezing, you may consider a heat lamp for the rest of the winter, then next year they may be able to acclimate to the changes. If they've been inside awhile, I'd think about a cage in the garage, barn, or stoop.

3. Marty1876

Marty1876 Hi Everyone!

What Quail do you have??

4. Kwartel

Kwartel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Oklahoma
    The OP posted this in 2007. I doubt they are still around waiting for an answer on this one.

5. Marty1876

Marty1876 Hi Everyone!

I figured that, but with a new post, other people may see it again, and we can still talk quail. I posted that to try to get someone else with quail to come and visit about them.

Do you have quail?

6. Kwartel

Jul 7, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Alright, I can't have people getting all upset over my honest opinion of how they choose to try to communicate. I'll rescind my comments and take my quail and go home. I'd rather talk to them anyway.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  7. Marty1876

Marty1876 Hi Everyone!

Reuse/Recyle.

LIke we need another new thread with 3 entries. But hey, do sa you like. IF you don't like how I've done it, maybe yuo shuold start a general quail discussioin. If you've raised quial awile, there are only so many new topics, but perhaps you have some "new and interesting topic" you'd like to share.

I think I worry more about trading or buying fresh stock that meats my requirements and is unrelated. And its nice to talk to people who understand our unique perspective.

No need to be inpolite. Besides, its not like I went looking. It was in the quial forum and saw the link, and I don't look at every date.

All blessings.

8. chickbird

chickbird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    hey, even if posted before, can't we be nice, this is such a wonderful group of people, it just looks like don't post an answer rather than post something that is hurtful and so public, just pm the person nicely if you are so upset. thanks

9. Kwartel

Jul 7, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Your quail are not allowed to play with mine anymore.

10. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    shucks, when I started I responded to threads that had been carved in stone...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by