Quail Incubation Advice needed

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by melgalea, Oct 13, 2015.

1. melgalea

melgalea New Egg

Oct 13, 2015
    Hi everyone, this is my first post here.
    i keep jap quails and the male has been busily mating with the girls.
    i have brought a Janoel 10 incubator, i have also brought a thermometer and hygrometer as i have read these incubators are not very reliable on temps.
    i have done sooo much research on incubating quails. but i would love to have more info, anyone use the janoel 10 for quails? any tips on what temps and humidity works well for you.
    thanks so much in advance
    Mel [​IMG]

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. I don't know anything about quail but, if you go to the "Quail thread," you will find many folks who do know.

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I've never raised quail but here is a link to the Quail forum, they should be able to help you out:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/48/quail

One of our other regular greeters @Yorkshire coop has a lot of incubation experience and has raised quail. Hopefully she comes on to give you some advice.

Thanks for joining us and good luck with your hatch!

5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I have incubated and hatched cortunix quail before but not the Japanese variety. For the most part quail are the same as chickens. I used the same method for the quail as chickens. Temp - 99.5 F and 45% humidity then at lockdown 65% at least. You may need different humidity setting depending in your house conditions/environment. Checking air sac growth will tell you if your on the right track. The cortunix have less days to be incubated. I have not used the janoel incubators myself but as you have already found out they can be unreliable on the temps and erratic. You have certainly done the right thing by getting an extra thermometer and hygrometer. For any incubator I feel this a must just to be on the safe side. I still double check my Brinsea just to be sure that things are right.
    Here is a lovely article on incubating quail ~https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-quail-eggs-and-brooding-quail-chicks

Good luck and enjoy those little bumble bees when they hatch. Enjoy BYC :frow

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Hello :frow and welcome to BYC!

7. melgalea

melgalea New Egg

Oct 13, 2015
    Thanks for the replies everyone and the welcomes [​IMG]i will check out the quail thread

8. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by