Quail incubation - day 16

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Baawking, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Baawking

Baawking Just Hatched

Mar 19, 2017
    Hello,

I am new to this site although I have been religiously following everyone's experiences in hatching quail and some chickens particularly in the last month. I'm on a day 16 (setting day being 0) and I'm kind of getting worried. Nothing happened yet so in my craze I double checked the humidity with another hygrometer and it was all the way up 75%. Now I'm wondering if I've drowned the chick's . I've reduced the humidity and it's in high 60s. I tried candling one egg. Nothing to be seen except darkness. Hopefully they'll hatch tomorrow. I have put paper towels on top of the grate and placed the eggs onto them for the lockdown. While I was placing another hygrometer I lifted a few eggs and some seemed to be slightly stuck onto the paper towels while others weren't. Has anyone had a similar experience and,if so, do you know why some would be stuck and why some wouldn't?
    I wonder if this has anything to do with the chicks absorbing the calcium from the shell?

These have been shipped eggs from a verified breeder and I have a no name incubator. The temp slightly variated but it was BTW 99.5F and 100F. Humidity was kept in high 50s and raised at a lockdown. It has a fan and egg turner.

I appreciate any input as well as should I keep the humidity at 75% or is the lower one OK?

Thank you!!!

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

I have not raised quail so I can't help you much with that. Someone who does raise them should be able to help you. You might consider reposting your question in the quail section of the forum, which you can find under the "Other backyard poultry" header of the forum.

3. Baawking

Baawking Just Hatched

Mar 19, 2017
    Thank you QueenMisha,
    I will do that. Sorry new to the forum!
    I am planning on incubating chicks soon as well so I will be looking for advise on that as well later on!

[​IMG]

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! Best of luck to you and your quail!

5. Baawking

Baawking Just Hatched

Mar 19, 2017
    Thank you redsox! Greetings from Western NY! I'm so glad everyone at BYC is so helpful![​IMG]

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Baawking [​IMG] Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hope you have a good hatch, [​IMG]

8. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Good luck with your hatch!

9. Baawking

Baawking Just Hatched

Mar 19, 2017
    I SAW ONE PIP THIS MORNING !!!
    [​IMG]
    I'M SO EXCITED!!! THIS IS THE PERFECT WAY TO CELEBRATE SPRING!!!
    WOOOOHOOOOO!!!!

THANK YOU ALL FOR SENDING GOOD HATCHING WISHES!!!

Mamahenning10 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by