Quail incubation- day 16

Baawking

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2017
Hello,

I am new to this site although I have been religiously following everyone's experiences in hatching quail and some chickens particularly in the last month. I'm on a day 16 (setting day being 0) and I'm kind of getting worried. Nothing happened yet so in my craze I double checked the humidity with another hygrometer and it was all the way up 75%. Now I'm wondering if I've drowned the chick's . I've reduced the humidity and it's in high 60s. I tried candling one egg. Nothing to be seen except darkness. Hopefully they'll hatch tomorrow. I have put paper towels on top of the grate and placed the eggs onto them for the lockdown. While I was placing another hygrometer I lifted a few eggs and some seemed to be slightly stuck onto the paper towels while others weren't. Has anyone had a similar experience and,if so, do you know why some would be stuck and why some wouldn't?
I wonder if this has anything to do with the chicks absorbing the calcium from the shell?

These have been shipped eggs from a verified breeder and I have a no name incubator. The temp slightly variated but it was BTW 99.5F and 100F. Humidity was kept in high 50s and raised at a lockdown. It has a fan and egg turner.

I appreciate any input as well as should I keep the humidity at 75% or is the lower one OK?

Thank you!!!

If your in lockdown and tomorrow is the due date i think it will be ok cause at this point it wont matter. As far as sticking what do you have them in i use plastic quail trays they cant stick. Good luck with your hatch. Let us know how it went. Dennis

Eggbert420 thank you!

Dennis,

I have plastic trays with a grid. I put paper towels over it since I was afraid their feet would get stuck. I am checking the temperature and it's getting higher so I decreased it by 1F. Still it's holding at 99.3. Does the temp increase drastically before they're ready to hatch?

Thank you!!!

Mine have always hatched on day 18. Except I have some currently on day 15 and one has pipped! I candled my eggs last night before putting them into lockdown and was very shocked to see a little shadow beak in the air cell! It's summer here and I had nowhere cool enough to store them as I collected them so I think that's got something to do with my early bird!

I know it's so hard to wait - it doesn't ever seem to get easier for me, not that I've hatched that many times.

The babies do start putting out there own heat in those last few days and as they hatch that will add to the humidity. 75% shouldn't have been high enough to drown anybody. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

JaeG,

Thank you!I'm relieved by your response. I'll post the updates.its been cold here and I think that has a lot to do with how things are progressing. the increase in temp is at least giving me an indication that something is happening. I wish I didn't have to go to work tomorrow!Lol! It's probably better that way!

It probably is better you'll be working, though it may be a 'long' day. I've checked my eggs at least 50 times today. I have 2 more pipping, but they are keeping me in suspense! One egg keeps jerking - I've never seen an egg move so that's pretty cool. My humidity shot up to 80% at one point but I looked up how high was too high. Lots of people have beautiful hatches with the humidity up to 90% so that made me feel better. Apparently the whole 'drowning' thing is a bit of a myth. As long as they have good ventilation they should all be just fine. The waiting is tough though!

It probably is better you'll be working, though it may be a 'long' day.  I've checked my eggs at least 50 times today.  I have 2 more pipping, but they are keeping me in suspense!  One egg keeps jerking - I've never seen an egg move so that's pretty cool.  My humidity shot up to 80% at one point but I looked up how high was too high.  Lots of people have beautiful hatches with the humidity up to 90% so that made me feel better.  Apparently the whole 'drowning' thing is a bit of a myth.  As long as they have good ventilation they should all be just fine.  The waiting is tough though! 

You're not kidding! It's almost 1am here and I'm still checking. One more time and I'm going to sleep! Let me know how your chick's make out. Are you hatching quail as well? Good luck!

Hopefully you've gone to bed by now. (It's Monday evening where I am). How are the babies doing? I have 4 that I can see have pipped. I think my early bird is waiting for a few more babies to catch up. I did worry it was going to hatch and be all on its own for awhile.

It's like a watched pot never boils! But you just can't help yourself!

I HAD A PIP THIS MORNING!!! AND MY THE TIME I GOT TO WORK I GOT NEWS THAT MORE THAN ONE WAS PEEPING AND MAKING NOISE!!!!

wee.gif
celebrate.gif
These icons completely capture the mood I'm in while the people at work are looking at me like I'm crazy! HA! I am considering going home during lunch, I'm definitely going to go home early to see the babies!!

I am so excited. This means my OCD with 6 different thermometers and hygrometers was worth it!

I cannot believe I'm missing it but I'm happy they're hatching!

YAAAAAAAYYYYY!

Thank you so much for giving me sanity while I was going all bonkers!

I'm going to post pics today, hopefully they're all healthy!

Back
Top Bottom