quail incubation ?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Chicken wild 98, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Chicken wild 98

Chicken wild 98 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    So i have bob whites and they wont hach their eggs. i want to rase them to be wild. what can i do [​IMG]

2. SliderShooter

SliderShooter Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2011
    Rice Country, CA
    Quote:Get a incubator. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  3. momw2cutekids

momw2cutekids Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    You need a incubator in order to hatch quail eggs [​IMG]

4. chrishel

chrishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    The Windy City
    You will need to use an incubator to hatch the eggs.

Bob Whites never really get tame from what I read on this board. If you want to keep them wild for release later, you will have to condition them.

Let us know if that's what you intend so someone with expertise (I'm only going off of what I've read here) can comment and give you more information.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Bobwhites do not go broody and will not hatch eggs. So you need an incubator. As for a wild release, you first need to check with your Game and Fish dept as it is illegal in most states to release pen raised Bobs because of the transferal of disease to the wild stock. Pen raised Bob's have no idea how to survive and will no doubt die within the first few nights due to predation. If the preds don't get them, starvation or thirst will kill them. Bob's need to be raised in a proper way and released in a territory that is natural to their wild cousins.

6. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    My bobwhite hatched chicks but I took them away. In a natural setting they can go broody but I would recommend getting an incubator.

7. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    1.put your growout pen as far away from the house as possible and do not let them interact with people try to automate the feeding of them as much as possible.
    2. check with your dnr/fish and game dept if you are planning to release them.
    3. institute a predator control program of some sort where you release them otherwise you are just feeding preds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by