Quail Injured!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Griffin Nest, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Griffin Nest

Griffin Nest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    Despite my efforts to make their aviary hazard-free, one of the quail's toe got stuck in wire in the weirdest corner of the cage. I tried to help it slowly and steadily but when it noticed that I was going to grab it, the quail freaked out and tore it's nail off. Now it's nail is hanging on it's toe and it looks bad! HELP? It'll be impossible to put the nail back on, so.. what do I do?

2. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Do you have a pic? It may be easiest to just clip it straight off

3. Griffin Nest

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    Quote:Eh... I don't like hurting my birds [​IMG] But I guess it'll hurt less after its over

4. mrslb333

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    It's one of those horrible things you have to do sometimes [​IMG] I had a little button have the end of it's toe pecked and the end was hanging on by a thread I tried bandaging it up for a few days but it just got more sore and swollen so in the end I snipped it off and the swelling went within a day and it healed really fast. I think it hurt me more to do it than the quail as he didn't even flinch

5. Griffin Nest

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    Quote:aww.. ok. I will. Mine is a button too. I guess anything is better than having it hang there [​IMG]

6. mrslb333

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Bless you [​IMG] It's better than leaving it and it getting infected just be sure to put some antiseptic on afterwards

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by