Quail injury-large open sore

BBQuail

Chirping
Oct 3, 2020
Connecticut
Background-A week ago this little coturnix girl got her self stuck in a tight spot for over 12 hours. By the time I found her she was covered in blood, and seemed exhausted and possibly in shock. Obvious injuries to wing edge, very damaged toe and pads, and some sort of pressure or scraping injury on left side under wing. Vetericyn and supportive care she was doing well and back outside in 3 days.
Last night the large “scab” on her left side under the wing came off, leaving a gaping hole through all skin layers. Does not appear infected. She still seems ok. She’s back inside where I can keep it clean.
Is this something that might heal, is it as painful as it looks, do I need to put her down?
I’ve already made it through a scalping and have owned other birds in the past.
However, I’ve never seen an injury like this. Pictures are before and after the “scab” came off.
I am new to Quail and posting. Hope someone can give me guidance.
277A86E0-F339-430A-9798-8A87AAA817F8.jpeg 1E246684-9D09-44AE-949A-49ADC496DA50.jpeg

This looks like something that can heal to me. Make sure to keep it clean and wash it with an antibacterial wash. Keep her warm and well fed. If she starts showing signs of infection, start to worry, but otherwise I think she'll be okay.

Thank you for the advice. Do you think the veterycin spray is enough? Or is there something better I should be applying to the wound?

You can rinse it out with a saline solution or Vetrycin is alright to wash with too. Keep her separated and in a place where flies can't lat eggs in the wound. So preferably in the house to keep away flies. Then put Neosporin or another antibacterial ointment on the wound, and don't wrap. She should be just fine! You are doing a good job with her! Avery

Sorry, I don’t mean to hijack your thread.
I decided to not buy vetericyn but instead get Rooster Booster wound spray. Was that a good choice? My boy got scalped. It’s my first major injury.

@Weeg - Recipe of the week- Chocolate Mousse with farm fresh eggs! -See profile for link! Enjoy! How does this work? I clicked ur profile, but didn’t get the link.

@Weeg - Recipe of the week- Chocolate Mousse with farm fresh eggs! -See profile for link! Enjoy! How does this work? I clicked ur profile, but didn’t get the link.
Go to my profile, and in my profile comments, it should be below my quote of the month. It will look on my profile and check that it is there. Glad your interested! And for your chicken, you can start another thread with pictures of your boy, so this thread doesn't get confusing. Tag me on your new thread and I can help!

Hey depending on how bad it is, at least I can help with that one, I’ve been there. I washed carefully w/plain old water and unscented soap, and used a little bacitracin, I figured he’d have a hard time preening that off from the scalp. He was fine in two days.
If it’s real bad, the wonderful people here can be of much more help.

Back
Top Bottom